diy solar

diy solar

Converted Cargo Trailer and Solar Question

jmorgan77

I have a 20ft Cargo Trailer that was converted to camper. It has 110v outlets that are running off of 30 amp breakers that are connected to a 30 am RV plug on the outside for being hooked up to shore power. There are also some 12volt LED lights that are wired using an old RV Converter. I am wanting to update this system. I have a couple of 100amp LiFePo batteries. My goal is to power the 110 outlets and 12 volt LEDs off of the batteries when shore power isn't available and be able to charge them off of both shore power (when available) and solar panels. I know I need to replace the converter. I am looking for recommendations on what to replace it with.

Your question is very broad. To narrow it down you need to be reasonably specific on what you intend to power off of your 120 volt side otherwise the options and possible combination of components is so wide that few will be willing or able to spend the time to list them all.

Since you want to use the batteries to produce AC power, consider implementing an inverter/charger. It has the converter built in and will automatically charge the batteries when connected to shore power.

Since you want to use the batteries to produce AC power, consider implementing an inverter/charger. It has the converter built in and will automatically charge the batteries when connected to shore power.
Jim, just tuned in and was thinking the same thing. I get the solar part of the install in my cargo trailer but the setup for shore power is what I was looking to understand. If I use an inverter/charger when not on shore power the unit switches over to the solar system - is this correct?

Jim, just tuned in and was thinking the same thing. I get the solar part of the install in my cargo trailer but the setup for shore power is what I was looking to understand. If I use an inverter/charger when not on shore power the unit switches over to the solar system - is this correct?

Are you talking about an all-in-one unit? For my setup, the solar isn't part of the inverter/charger. My solar charge controller is a separate device. So the solar is always providing power (during the day, of course) without regard to if there is shore power or not. An all-in-one most likely works the same way.

A run of the mill inverter/charger will use the shore power to satisfy the AC loads and anything leftover will be used to charge the batteries. In my system, the Victron Multiplus inverter/charger has the ability to supplement the shore power with power from the battery bank. Say you have only 15 amps of shore power but need 20 amps to run the air conditioning. My system can do that.

Are you talking about an all-in-one unit? For my setup, the solar isn't part of the inverter/charger. My solar charge controller is a separate device. So the solar is always providing power (during the day, of course) without regard to if there is shore power or not. An all-in-one most likely works the same way.

A run of the mill inverter/charger will use the shore power to satisfy the AC loads and anything leftover will be used to charge the batteries. In my system, the Victron Multiplus inverter/charger has the ability to supplement the shore power with power from the battery bank. Say you have only 15 amps of shore power but need 20 amps to run the air conditioning. My system can do that.
It looks like an inverter/charger is the way to go. Thanks for the reply by the way. I just want to know when I disconnect the shore power that the solar side of things work. Is the Victron unit is a good unit or from your experience is there another brand to look at?

Victron is a very popular brand. High quality, lots of features and most of their components can be networked together. But Victron isn't cheap and that's really the only downside.

Sounds like you're looking for an AIO, or All-In-One, unit. The shore power wire goes right into the unit, the solar wires go into the unit, the 120v out comes from the unit. On shore power it feeds power from the power cord to the outlets and charges the batteries while also charging from the solar panels. When you unplug from the wall the unit automatically kicks over to feed the 120v from the batteries while charging from solar. When the sun goes down the batteries feed everything until the sun comes up and/or you plug back into a wall.

The difference between an AIO and an inverter/charger is that the AIO has the charge controller built in already. There are many brands out there that make AIO's and are pretty much all cheaper than $$Victron$$.

Back