diy solar

diy solar

Converting a barn into a workshop in Washington

Bobofresh

I have a new barn, it's about 800 to 1000 sq, but has high ceilings (probably up to 24 ft). I'm also in Western Washington, any suggestions on what to start out with for mild summers and winters, but lots of overcast?

What are your objectives for the workshop? I would think with ceilings that high, it would be better to ground mount panels. if you are not afraid of falling to your death, a roof that high would be great for lots of panels, but maintenance and troubleshooting would suck.

Do you need the headroom, for tall equipment or material?
An insulated ceiling would make climate control easier.
A 2nd floor would double usable floor area.

As for PV, overcast can mean 10% or 1% as much production, depending on how thick.
Either make sawdust while the sun shines, or get a large battery.
This is assuming PV is your primary power source, vs. if hydro is available.

There are fall-stop harnesses for working on roofs. Our training said you can die while dangling if there isn't help and a plan to get you back down on the ground.
I'm considering a cable strung along the ridge with pulley, so instead of being limited to an arc about a single anchor point I can have a more rectangular area available (not extending beyond the eaves.)
Of course, I'm still just considering. I bought a fall-stop but haven't hooked it up yet, and simply walk on roof when I need to (weather permitting.)

I have a new barn, it's about 800 to 1000 sq, but has high ceilings (probably up to 24 ft). I'm also in Western Washington, any suggestions on what to start out with for mild summers and winters, but lots of overcast?
Maybe start with something like PVWatts - https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php - and type in some various PV sizes (no of panels you plan) and see what kind of power you have available.

To heat-pump heat/cool 1000sq ft with good insulation is variable but maybe around 300-400kwh/month type of thing (based on my own experience in Southern Oregon / mild-climate) - you can probably get some estimates from someone or an installer.

Then compare the PV amount with some numbers and you may go ... its 'in range' or you may go 'no way' :)

It does have a few rooms already with ceilings, I'll have to go on top of them to see what material they used if it can become a floor. Insulating is definitely something I plan on doing. I would like to have a heated water tank in there.
The roof is in three sections, two side ones are much lower, both facing east and west.

If I put PV panels on the barn, I am paying someone! Great amount of real estate up there for us, but no freaking way am I going that high. Especially on something that steep!

If I put PV panels on the barn, I am paying someone! Great amount of real estate up there for us, but no freaking way am I going that high. Especially on something that steep!

Be careful of licensed contractors who certify they don't have employees such as to require insurance, but then put employees on your job.

If I have ladders and maybe ropes then I feel ok. It is walking unsecured on a high/steep place that concerns me.
I trust workers less. Even when I provide safety equipment I catch them not using it.

<duplicate, internet didn't seem to respond>

I paid a solar installer $2500 to install my racking and panels.
They ran the wires to the inverter too.

If I fell off the roof I'd be sack of broken bones and fat.
And dangling to my death is not appealing either

1: Before you get too far into the conversion, look into the county building codes. I'm up in Snohomish county and I only get to have 800q ft before it becomes an inspected building and requires lots of permitting and permission and lot size requirements and so on. You may find that you can't legally do it in the first place if you want to have things like plumbing or a stove or if your lot is too small or the wrong zoning or or or...

2: Once you've gone through those hoops, with your roof facing east and west, I gotta second the idea of a ground mount system. You can run wire anywhere, but you can only face the panels one way to be halfway usable.

3: Next step is to figure out your power budget and what kind of juice you want in there. Do you need 220v for anything? Are you looking for the simplest setup or are you wanting to scrape every penny? Are you going to be running heavy start power tools like miter saws and air compressors and need the extra overhead? For our area, take your power demands and add 50-100% more!! You'll be lucky to get 70% out of your panels on those 3 days in August.

4: Then look at your budget. Can you do it or do you need to re-adjust your power needs to fit the budget?

Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you can make them meet up.

5: Look around and figure out where you're going to stick all the batteries and controllers and inverters and such.

6: Come back here and start throwing out ideas on what you want to do and let the brilliant minds here nit-pick your system for all the things you didn't know you didn't know.

You may want to consider using solar hot water panels if you intend to do space heating. You mentioned a heated water tank, but not what it is for. The hot water panels qualify for the same tax credits as the PV electric panels, and hot water is very efficient. A drain-back system is generally much less complicated, and relatively easy to maintain. Check it out.

They could also be placed on a ground mount system.

Back