diy solar

diy solar

Converting a grid tie inverter to off grid

Ally

Hi,
We have 26 panels, a solax X1 hybrid single phase inverter, 2x 5.8wh batteries and a solis single phase string inverter.
We are so close to being off grid completely as we have a switch to switch over to EPS so we can run things when the grid is down.
HOWEVER... as I understand it 10 of our panels are not connected to the hybrid inverter and so when the grid is off these panels don't work.
Surely there must be a way to get these 10 panels working off grid?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Ally. Are you in Australia?

Are all of your panels identical?
What are the specs, make, model of each of your inverters?
What is EPS?
What are the "10 panels" connected to now?
Could the 10 panels be connected in such a way that they prevent you from exceeding max voltage to your charge controller?

I agree, there must be a way to make your 10 panels work off grid.

I'm in the UK and a bit clueless to how it's all connected. So we have 26 identical panels (JA solar JAM60S-10-345-MR-BF monocrystalline solar PV - copied straight from the invoice, so hope that means something to you!) 16 of which are connected to a solax X1 hybrid 5.0kw single phase inverter, the remaining 10 are connected to a solis single phase 3.0kw string inverter. We have two solax Xgen3 triple power HV 5.8wh lithium ion batteries.
If we turn the mains electricity supply off we are able to still operate by switching over to our emergency power supply (EPS) which comes from the batteries and the 16 panels connected to the hybrid inverter. In this situation the solis inverter goes offline and so do the 10 panels attached to it.
I don't know whether it's a max voltage thing, apparently when we bought the system solax were looking at doing two hybrids that could "talk" to each other so we wouldn't have had a problem but they didn't do it.

You could sell the string inverter and switch it for a solar charge controller like a Midnite SCC or Outback SCC....The SCC would use the 10 panels to directly charge your battery.

Not sure if the Solex can AC couple but if that is an option where you put the string inverter on the output of the Solex. (Searched and didn't see where the Solex could AC couple? If someone could confirm whether it can/can't)

Last edited:
Thanks, I've written down your suggestions and will talk to someone who knows far more than I do about it to see if that could work for us.

Back