diy solar

diy solar

Converting ac refrigerator to dc

Wolfonaship

Aloha,
I am looking into converting a nice used residential refrigerator to dc with a danfoss/secop bd80f compressor.
12/24v r134a.
Just a typical top freezer 15 +/-cu.ft.
two door.
Has anyone tackled this and had success?

Attachments

• 20210612_073303.jpg
    20210612_073303.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210612_073238.jpg
    20210612_073238.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 9
I have replaced thousands of compressors over the years. Residential equipment has no charge ports, so you will need to weld those on, or use the bolt on line taps... they always leak...
make sure the compressor doesn’t need a VFD controller to function. Check to see if it is an upgrade kit, not just a bare compressor... make sure the thermostat can handle dc current... most can’t reliably handle the tiny ac load they come with...

I have replaced thousands of compressors over the years. Residential equipment has no charge ports, so you will need to weld those on, or use the bolt on line taps... they always leak...
make sure the compressor doesn’t need a VFD controller to function. Check to see if it is an upgrade kit, not just a bare compressor... make sure the thermostat can handle dc current... most can’t reliably handle the tiny ac load they come with...
Thank you,
The compressor has charge port.
They offer various options depending on application for controller.
I appreciate the heads up on the thermostat!

Attachments

• 20210612_080717.jpg
    20210612_080717.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 13
The compressor having the charge port won’t help you remove the refrigerant for removal of he original compressor.
Remember, it is a crime to intentionally vent refrigerant, unless it is in an air duster can for some reason...
so, don’t say online that you would cut and vent the charge.

You really haven't explained why you actually want to do this? Is is just to raise the efficiency of a very small solar system? I think the days of extreme conservation in solar applications is over. Excellent capacity panels are now available at a small fraction of what they were years ago, and I really think trying to perpetuate anything DC these days is a waste of time.

I built my place as solely AC, and I couldn't be happier. That's AC with a standard AC refrigerator, standard AC television, standard AC air conditioning, ect.

My van has a decent size dorm style fridge, it draws around 7 amps dc when compressor runs.
It is AC, and I use a bestec 1KW inverter... runs for days on my 160Ah pack...

I am converting a small 8 cuft refrigerator from ac to dc compressor. If the pipe IDs and wall thicknesses the same, can either the service or suction pipe be used for evaluation and charging after a service valve is brazed in? Thank you.

I'm fine with my (AC) fridge consumption. What I hate is the noise. It's not loud, no, but out here in the fields... it is :·)
So if anyone knows if changing the compressor to a DC one (I understand I might have to put a relay on the thermostat, no big deal) will get rid of the BZZZ, please let me know :·)
-

In a 600a frig, can a 134a compressor be used? I understand when converting a refrigerator from ac to dc, the compressor must be sized (displacement) correctly. IIf the refrigerator runs on 600a can a correctly sized compressor use any refrigerant? It seems that a compressor compresses. Thank you.

Back