diy solar

diy solar

Converting to Lifepo4 in Sprinter Class C coach. Need Suggestions!

My question has been answered, as I wanted to know what type of Sprinter the OP had. I work on RVs as a side income because my SSI retirement income doesn't cut it some months. I know the differences. I was trying to visualize his battery box.

I'm building the exact pack for my camper. 8x 200AH or 230AH cells for 12V. It'll fit into my existing dual GC2 battery box.
I'm going to use the JBD 200A BMS. I plan to add an inverter later. But it'll only be a 1200W inverter. So 200A will be more than enough.
I mostly camp where I have shore power. I'll be swapping the existing 3 stage 40A converter for a 55 or 60A fixed voltage converter. I'm still working out operating voltage.

As much as I would like to go with a 24v. battery bank, I will most likely stick with 2 - 12v. batteries in parallel (like my original LA configuration). TI have come to this conclusion as there does not appear to be a good way to charge the 24v. house batteries with my 12v. alternator. I already have 3 - 215w. Hightec solar panels. Is there any way I can use the Victron 100/30 solar charge controller? Or, do I need to step up to the Victron 100/50 SCC? Each of my panels produce VMP = 21.052v, and IMP = 9.5a.

TI have come to this conclusion as there does not appear to be a good way to charge the 24v. house batteries with my 12v. alternator.
Unless your alternator has a special regulator you should use a dc2dc charger like this.
Even if both domains are 12 volts.

As much as I would like to go with a 24v. battery bank, I will most likely stick with 2 - 12v. batteries in parallel (like my original LA configuration). TI have come to this conclusion as there does not appear to be a good way to charge the 24v. house batteries with my 12v. alternator. I already have 3 - 215w. Hightec solar panels. Is there any way I can use the Victron 100/30 solar charge controller? Or, do I need to step up to the Victron 100/50 SCC? Each of my panels produce VMP = 21.052v, and IMP = 9.5a.
I'm only building a 12V pack. I'm just using 8 lithium cells since that's the way I can fit the most capacity into my Dual GC2 battery box. I'm wiring cell pairs in parallel then those pairs into series for ~12V

Back