diy solar

diy solar

Converting TravelTrailer lead-acid to LiON (w/ Solar, AC/DC & DC/DC)

In my case (an Apex Nano 194BHS) I know that one of the AC breakers goes to the AC/DC converter because that is how the panel is wired from the factory (its a WFCO WF-8735 power center). That leaves two breakers that service a fridge, microwave, A/C, outlets and a GFCI module somewhere. Trailer construction tends to have a certain amount of randomness to it, so I am not making assumptions about which wires go where until I trace them.

In terms of 12V/USB ports, yeah, mine has those also, but for some devices, such as my DSLR camera, the charger for the batteries runs off 120V AC - there isn't any way to charge those batteries from 12V.

For my camera, while the battery charger that came with it is 120V powered, I was able to find a USB powered replacement charger. Before I did that, and before I had this RV with power point and USB outlets, I would use a small inverter in the truck to charge AC-powered electronics off the power point there.

Ah, Microwave... I don't have one of those. Wired for it though, I think, so maybe that is the other breaker label! I preferred storage rather than microwave.

With only 3 breakers, I still expect one to be dedicated to the air conditioner, so everything else must be on the other breaker. Makes it hard to isolate to refrigerator by circuit, but maybe you can by wire runs.... or that plug behind it.

Yep, with the word "microwave" in my head, I can decipher my fuzzy picture to say that!

I didn't read this whole thread. But did note you were having trouble IDing your alternator. If that isn't sorted out yet you can order a "build sheet" from a dealer on your specific truck by bringing them the VIN. that printout should tell all there is to know about the trucks component's ID. then you need to find the info for the part used. But it's a start and is just great to have for any vehicle you own.

I didn't read this whole thread. But did note you were having trouble IDing your alternator. If that isn't sorted out yet you can order a "build sheet" from a dealer on your specific truck by bringing them the VIN. that printout should tell all there is to know about the trucks component's ID. then you need to find the info for the part used. But it's a start and is just great to have for any vehicle you own.
Very good info, thanks.

Back