diy solar

diy solar

Converting UPS batteries from Lead Acid to Lithium Ion

nexusjosh

So I live out in the country, and we have lots, and lots and lots of brown outs. Because of this over the last few years, I've purchased quite a few Battery Backups both Cyber Power and UPS. One major drawback is that every single one of them has a Lead Acid Battery that needs to be replaced every 2 years (If that) and they have an extraordinarily limited run time.

I've been google-fo'ing on anyone who has - when the battery needs to be replaced, replaced them with Lithium Ion, and have had very little success. Given the charging differences and such between Lead Acid, and Lithium Ion I don't imagine it would be plug-and-play would it?

These are two of the kinds of UPS's I have.
APC
Cyber Power

Has anyone tried to do what I'm looking to do? If so, will the UPS software, PC software like Power Chute, and such automatically detect the better batteries, and charge them correctly?

This thread seems to be the most complete. If you add your additional questions on to this, you may hear from some of the contributors since they will get a notification.

I'm in the same boat. I plan to do this to my UPSes but have not yet started. From what little info I've gathered, it appears to be plug and play. Powerchute or any other software will not recognize the new battery automatically.

Back