diy solar

diy solar

Cooked my AIO with a cheap generator :(

CottonTexas

I had to save up for quite some time to get my PIP-812-MS back in 2019. That was before the world got turned upside down, & I haven't been able to get it installed until about 2 weeks ago. After a coupla' hundred bucks in installation gear, I was over-the-moon that I finally had it plugged in & charging my battery from house-power. I scored a 5500watt QueenBee generator for super-cheap, & I headed out to do some boondocking. At this time of year A/C is REQUIRED, so I plugged one outlet of the generator to my portable A/C (sub-1Kw @ 110vAC), & the other to my AIO unit which was only running a single overhead 12v LED. I don't think it was a full minute before the alarm went off, & I got a fault code 09 (soft bus start failed). I turned the unit off, disconnected from the generator, & had a hard time communicating with the AIO via USB afterwards, but I was eventually able to check, & I got a single fault code of 07 (overload time out) along with a now-constant 05 fault (output short circuit detected). So far as I can tell I've toasted this unit :( It's so far out of warranty that it isn't funny, & I'll have to save up for forever to get a new one. The only thing that I've read about generators is from MPP Solar's site saying:

• Generator power is recommended to be 50% larger than the inverter rating to reduce chances of overload.

• Inverter-generator is recommended due to its cleaner output than conventional generators. Unsuitable generator output may be rejected by the inverter.

I guess I'll be selling this uber-cheap generator & mortgaging a Honda (or maybe going DC/DC setup) before trying that again.

So bummed,
Cotton

EDIT: bcuz spel-chek iz fur nurdz

Last edited:
So right now with just batteries connected to the unit, then you turn on the inverter on/off switch and it is not working?
Also try have nothing connected to the unit for half hour then reconnect the battery only and see what will happen.
What kind of batteries are you using?
BTW, I have 1012MS, and 1012MK.

Thanks for the replies. With just the battery connected (a single 80aH lead-acid 12v), I was getting the 05 fault (output short circuit detected), but I just now switched it on while posting this, & the screen currently reads 09 (soft bus start failed). I haven't tried comms again, but the USB has always been sketch, however I've disconnected the breaker, & I'll poke around a little more in another half hour to see what's changed.

Just powered the unit up again. I didn't bother hooking up comms, but I'm still getting fault 09 (soft bus start failed) on the front screen. :(

I got my AOI unit from usa-mpp-solar.com, & I'll spare the boring details, but this is an awesome company to do business with. If you buy from them, & have a problem, just be honest & forthright, (even if it's your fault,) & if they can help you, they will. I'll never regret recommending these guys for AOI purchase and/or repair. Just wanted to finish up this thread with how awesome these folks were in helping me out. Peace, Cotton

Glad you have it sorted, presume you are back up and operating?

Some are interested in the boring details. Fault 9 is a bugger, pretty sure some are interested in what was the cause of the fault code and solution.

I have an MPP Solar 3048LV in my trailer -> camper. It can accept up to 25a (3000w) but It has settings to limit the charging amps... and I use this setting in combination with current loads to avoid overloading my 2300w Champion generator with maxes out at around 1600w continuous. For example, if we're cooking then I set charging to the minimum of 2a. If we're just watching a movie then I can set charging up to 10a.

I mention this because of the comment above about a generator 50% larger than the unit... but if the unit has current limiting options this can be managed on a smaller generator.

I mention this because of the comment above about a generator 50% larger than the unit... but if the unit has current limiting options this can be managed on a smaller generator.
Yes definitely, it's the same for me if ever I need to use my generator I just limit the "utility" charge current to something sensible for the generator I have.

That said, all that would happen if the generator is overloaded is the generator would cut out.

The OP instead had an inverter failure.

Glad you have it sorted, presume you are back up and operating?

Some are interested in the boring details. Fault 9 is a bugger, pretty sure some are interested in what was the cause of the fault code and solution.
Well, the "boring" details are a bit embarrassing, but go something like this: My reaction to a system failure is a 3-step coping procedure 1)freak-out, 2)scream, & 3) panic. During one of those steps I opened the case to look for obvious burned solders or blown capacitors, & I took out a few connecting wires to check for burned spots, & set them down & LOST them :rolleyes: , (so when I was asked if I'd opened the case, it would have been especially foolish to try & deny it - even though because it had been so long, I'd completely forgotten about pulling any cables). However, I messaged the company that I bought it from, & a super-chill dude with an upside-down accent (I can't tell the difference between Oz & Kiwi accents, but I know they get upset when you confuse them), got in touch, & Mr. Super-Chill told me to send it in. Once it arrived, he told me that he has the magic to fix it, & that I should cease coping procedures. A few days later I got it back, & it worked great. I do wish that I had more technical information for those that are interested, but without the help of the good folks at usa-mpp-solar.com, I would have been totally hosed. Wish I could be more helpful, but I appreciate the replies. Cheers, Cotton

Back