diy solar

diy solar

Cool Boondocker class C RV

In four years, I haven't seen a temp setting. It may be there, but it's not obvious or readily accessible. The water heater is one item in the trailer that I haven't had to repair. I do drain it after each outing.
Time for a modification!

In four years, I haven't seen a temp setting. It may be there, but it's not obvious or readily accessible. The water heater is one item in the trailer that I haven't had to repair. I do drain it after each outing.
Personally I dont think I would bother but if there is no temp control you could put one of those small silicone DC heating pads on the underside of the tank to keep it from freezing.

It must sux to have a water heater outside your rig and need extra gadgets to play with when the are in the heated compartment of the trailer or atleast most are. :)
It's funny reading some of these threads/ post for living off a system while boondocking. If I were new and reading some of these threads that folks switched over to all 120v item in a rv instead of keeping it simple. o_O
I probably still just be in rv parks but then keep it up maybe some will stay in the parks than the wild. ;)

It must sux to have a water heater outside your rig and need extra gadgets to play with when the are in the heated compartment of the trailer or atleast most are. :)
It's funny reading some of these threads/ post for living off a system while boondocking. If I were new and reading some of these threads that folks switched over to all 120v item in a rv instead of keeping it simple. o_O
I probably still just be in rv parks but then keep it up maybe some will stay in the parks than the wild. ;)
Lately, it's hard to find spots in an RV park with electricity, much less full hookups. Covid really drove everyone and their uncle to buy an RV. The main driver behind my buildout is because I can't always find available reservations in RV parks. Primitive camping spots though... tons of availability and super cheap or free.

Lately, it's hard to find spots in an RV park with electricity, much less full hookups. Covid really drove everyone and their uncle to buy an RV. The main driver behind my buildout is because I can't always find available reservations in RV parks. Primitive camping spots though... tons of availability and super cheap or free.
For me, its mostly about the up front investment saving me money on the individual trips.

I may never come out ahead on it, but its nice to know I can get a reservation at a state park site for little to nothing and have a weekend vacation, comfortably, even if money is very tight later.

Whenever I finish this stupid degree I want to build a totally off-grid squaredrop and have spent the last few months having ideas, refining the basic design, and adding/removing from the design requirements. Things like avoiding propane use and having such excessive insulation that the energy requirement for AC is minimal.

Its been a fun project just planning it but I have a few requirements that so far can't be resolved all together lol

For me, its mostly about the up front investment saving me money on the individual trips.

I may never come out ahead on it, but its nice to know I can get a reservation at a state park site for little to nothing and have a weekend vacation, comfortably, even if money is very tight later.

Whenever I finish this stupid degree I want to build a totally off-grid squaredrop and have spent the last few months having ideas, refining the basic design, and adding/removing from the design requirements. Things like avoiding propane use and having such excessive insulation that the energy requirement for AC is minimal.

Its been a fun project just planning it but I have a few requirements that so far can't be resolved all together lol
I can see how the square drop would be a fun project. Imagine, a rig designed from the ground up to house a mini-split, a ton of solar, super well insulated, and all electric appliances that are really efficient. Nothing like that in the market today, that's for sure.

I can see how the square drop would be a fun project. Imagine, a rig designed from the ground up to house a mini-split, a ton of solar, super well insulated, and all electric appliances that are really efficient. Nothing like that in the market today, that's for sure.
That's the idea.

Gotta be able to sleep and, even if it's a bit cramped, cook inside it with the top latched down and when opportunity comes up, pop the top and be able to stand and shower inside as well. A cassette toilet as well.

There is something like this on the market but it's like 50 grand, has crap insulation, and the solar and AC situation is bad.

Here is my version, held up fine in 35 mph winds in Death Valley
View attachment 69415

It gets me to 800 watts on a 22' RV
View attachment 69413
With the way you have the panel installed, seems like it will hold up real good. Even closed, seems like would provide a decent amount of wattage every day with it parked to the south.

How did you secure that to the trailer. That is something I don't know about. I was watching some shows and if they wanted to add a door to the rear of your trailer, they'd get out a saw and cut a hole to fit the door, and install the door. Has to be more to it than that. You must have secured the panel to Aluminum or wood beams.

The best solar RV on the internet....This whole series of YouTube videos is amazing...Check out the motorized slide out panels....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBNLIkY9fYo

With the way you have the panel installed, seems like it will hold up real good. Even closed, seems like would provide a decent amount of wattage every day with it parked to the south.

How did you secure that to the trailer. That is something I don't know about. I was watching some shows and if they wanted to add a door to the rear of your trailer, they'd get out a saw and cut a hole to fit the door, and install the door. Has to be more to it than that. You must have secured the panel to Aluminum or wood beams.
Between the panel hinges and the brace supports, There are 18- #12 Stainless sheet metal screws through the fiberglass body. I placed a like sized 10 gauge metal plate on the inside of the body and screwed through all..
Panel Hinge.jpg
There is metal framing in there but just not where i needed. The hinge "pins" are removable shoulder bolts to I can deploy the panel on the ground
Panel support.jpg
On the solar harvest, yes that panel faces South when parked in my drive and always sees better production in the afternoon this time of year than the ones laying flat on the roof.. It also swings above flat to face the other way if I want

That’s a nice use of available space on the Pleasure Way. Do you have separate charge controllers for the roof and side-mounted panels?

That’s a nice use of available space on the Pleasure Way. Do you have separate charge controllers for the roof and side-mounted panels?
Yes, two controllers for the roof panels and one for the rear.
Bonus, the rear panel is an excellent awning. Works so well I’ve considered adding two more down the drivers side?

Back