diy solar

diy solar

Cool text this morning from customer

my wife would get tired of me telling her to use some power....lol
It has been my experience that the "Official Solar Tester" will have no problem to max out the system, given the opportunity! :ROFLMAO:

{Comes home from shopping plugs in the EV to charge,
goes in the house and starts filling the tub for a hot bath,
running the hot water triggers the elect hwt and the well pump,
while the bath is filling, throws a load in the clothes washer and electric dryer,
decides to turn the oven to pre-heat on while having a bath...after the bath out comes the hair dryer!}

It's certainly impressive but I'm asking myself what they are doing to need 36kW of instantaneous power. You'd need to be totally off grid with 2 EV's and all electric house to come close that sort of draw.

one shows the all time peak KW and I never saw one over 27kW. That was a 6000ft2 all electric house, hot tub, 2 x water heaters and 2 x heat pumps with strips, a swimming pool and an EV.

Likely peak not surge.

"NOMINAL POWER OUTPUT @240v 12000W"
"PEAK POWER (SURGE CAPACITY) W/O PV: 13500W (10 min)"

Starting surge of a motor is 5x operating current, so 1x EG4-18kPV can start a 2700VA motor (11.25A running, 15A breaker)
That would be a rather small A/C.
2x EG4-18kPV nominal 12000W, surge 27000W could start a 5400 VA motor. Or less if powering other loads at the same time.
These apparently don't have a high surge, not 2x operating power.

So two inverters is not unreasonable.
It is the large battery bank that catches our eye.

I put in 4x Sunny Island (23kW continuous, 44kW surge), would have been fine with 2x but this let me have more than 56A bypass.
Could have stayed within that, and I am for my new place, but not all loads will go through it.

For their own safety it would be nice if @SignatureSolarJames could at least inquire if those busbars are directly attached to wood and suggest correcting if so.

The busbar casts a shadow. Probably has a plastic insulator under it.

How does NEC feel about battery cables not in conduit or cabinet?

1716299958941.png

I'm not an EG4 guy, but don't they want a fuse on each string at the bus bar? I think when you get to 6 batteries in parallel they don't want you relying on the built in circuit breakers.

I'm not an EG4 guy, but don't they want a fuse on each string at the bus bar? I think when you get to 6 batteries in parallel they don't want you relying on the built in circuit breakers.

Fuse as close to battery terminal as possible.

A fuse on the busbar would mean unfused cable passes behind opposite polarity busbar.
If something (e.g. fire) compromised insulation, many cables could contact.

Mount class T similar to the way MRBF goes on battery terminals, have a fuse holder right on top of each EG4 wallmount battery?
That's assuming they don't have one built in. My LG RESU-10H have quality fuses inside.

I'm at 150kWh right now and I use every single watt hour. Usually when the sun comes out I'm at 5%. Once you have that much capacity it's very very easy to use 😂
Has to be the EV's plus you don't get much bad weather.

I could still use some dump loads for the hose system but I also want 6 days of reserve. Bad weather forecast- then we cut usage such as laundry, dryer, dishwasher. Come winter it can be other loads in addition to those 3. This time of the year, hard to use it all. No heating, very little cooling, no need for the dryer as much as the clothesline works just fine.

A month from now, I will have to watch usage if bad weather in the forecast. Air conditioning can kill reserve fast.

I ran a comparison of my truck camper roof air to the mini split I just installed. 25% less draw from the mini split for the first 15 minutes. The temp dropped by 5°F in those 15 minutes. Roof air initial 15 minutes the temp only dropped 2°F. By half hour mark, roof air still drawing about 1400W with another 2°F drop while mini split was down to under 800W and temp had dropped by another 6°F. The mini split draw would have been less draw but I set the fan on high instead of auto to make it somewhat of a fair test. As soon as I changed to auto fan, the mini split dropped to just over 600W. The efficiency is just amazing.

I'm still in conservation mode and find new uses for excess.

Two 18kPV $10,000
12 EG4 batteries $40,000
28kW PV + racks $15,000
other parts $10,000
Labor ? $25,000
Wow, I think we are seeing what a $100k system looks like :love:
They must have blown the budget not having the funds to go the last mile and find a better solution for those bus bars.
Don't get me wrong, I do plenty of questionable things myself but without question I wouldn't do that. I think what really rubs me the wrong way is the message makes it appear this is an installers install...
Other than that, really nice setup.

It's certainly impressive but I'm asking myself what they are doing to need 36kW of instantaneous power. You'd need to be totally off grid with 2 EV's and all electric house to come close that sort of draw.

Are they trying to run 20kW of heat strips during an ice storm power outage? I'm in the office now but used to be the electrician in the field. Our utility meters scroll through different screens, one shows the all time peak KW and I never saw one over 27kW. That was a 6000ft2 all electric house, hot tub, 2 x water heaters and 2 x heat pumps with strips, a swimming pool and an EV. The owner was paying no attention to when or how they used power and never even came close to justifying thier 400 amp service, let alone a 200 amp. A 200 amp service pencils out to 48kW.

Don't hear me judging anybody, just curious how much attention was paid to choosing this size of a system.
Some people like big power. In the winter if it is a sunny day I will put about 40kw of loads on and run most of the day. I paid for my solar power, I am going to do my best to use it up, lol.

They must have blown the budget not having the funds to go the last mile and find a better solution for those bus bars.
Don't get me wrong, I do plenty of questionable things myself but without question I wouldn't do that. I think what really rubs me the wrong way is the message makes it appear this is an installers install...
Other than that, really nice setup.
They are gonna cover the busbar, it’s not complete yet and I think they were just excited to share
(Per fb post)

Some people like big power. In the winter if it is a sunny day I will put about 40kw of loads on and run most of the day. I paid for my solar power, I am going to do my best to use it up, lol.
Impressive. What are those loads?

Back