diy solar

diy solar

Cooling for diy LFP pack?

Willfulone

I am designing a system for my sailboat. somewhat concerned about heat being an issue at times. Wondering if anyone has made a pack with cooling? Maybe a pelteir cooler or something? Fridge compressor? Please chime in with any ideas! Thanks!

Water cooling, but only if needed. I doubt that the boat doesn't have suitable compartments for the batties that can keep acceptable temperatures.

At least in my case, the battery is next to the hull, so that will moderate things pretty well, passively.

As a commenter recently said in a great YT video on this subject, ambient heat has a large impact on cycle life so there is an ROI in keeping the pack cool.

I am in the process of building a large pack for my all electric boat (1200Ah @ 108v using 144 EVE 302s). I have successfully used a Termodinámica 16k BTU water cooled hvac system on another boat which runs on DC power and is very efficient. I am planning to route a duct through the battery compartment to keep them cooled.

HVAC unit: https://termodinamicausa.com/products/24v-unit

Active cooling like a pelteir cooler or Fridge compressor is going to use quite a bit of power. Water in the tropics is upwards of 85F, so that isn't much help either.

If this is a large battery for an electric propulsion systems, that opens up options as you have the power available to run some real cooling. But if it is just a moderate sized house bank charged by solar....

I have just accepted that I will had shortened life, but still expect my LFP to last many, many years. After more than 1 year I am less than 100 cycles, and I still test capacity at 110% of rating. So if I get 1000 cycles or 1500 cycles instead of 2000 cycles, that's still 10 or 15 years.

Active cooling like a pelteir cooler or Fridge compressor is going to use quite a bit of power. Water in the tropics is upwards of 85F, so that isn't much help either.

If this is a large battery for an electric propulsion systems, that opens up options as you have the power available to run some real cooling. But if it is just a moderate sized house bank charged by solar....

I have just accepted that I will had shortened life, but still expect my LFP to last many, many years. After more than 1 year I am less than 100 cycles, and I still test capacity at 110% of rating. So if I get 1000 cycles or 1500 cycles instead of 2000 cycles, that's still 10 or 15 years.
460Ah 12v house bank. I havent run across anything simple and low power draw.

Honestly? Get a FLIR cam for your phone/tablet and address the hot spots. This'll make a huge difference.

Fridge compressor?
I think this is a genius idea.

I would have designed my 280 ah 16 cell build to fit in a small fridge.

I store my RV where internal temps will reach 110 f for up to six months. The batteries will be at 50% SOC, but still outside specs.

I had thought of AC in the pass through compartment, but that’s 500 watts continuous. I think a refrigerated box would be much better.

I’m finding my batteries put off very little heat charging or discharging at 75 amps for long periods of time.

I think you're better off looking at passive cooling designs - that doesn't mean that they don't have a fan but you can build a cooling loop that circulates by virtue of the heat produced and the cooling of say, a radiator that's external. Compressor's add quite a bit of complication.

Back