diy solar

diy solar

Correct fusing between 2 120v hot wires

Famtraveler24

Hey all. In my 6/4 flex romex run from my RV's 50A plug to my Victron Quattro, I need extra length for one of the 2 120v hot legs. I assume it is fine to connect 2 runs of 6AWG with a positive bus bar. But I also assume the connection should be fused. 100A ANL fuse ok?

6 awg seems large for a 120v leg, outlet?. Fuse to protect the wire ampacity.

Select the wire to carry the current you expect to use. Select the fuse to protect that wire.

I ran 6/2 over the weekend from my Automatic Transfer Switch to the inverter and then from the inverter to the main distribution panel.

If it was me, I would buy a length of wire to fit without having a splice/connection. More connections = more chances of issues.

6/2 was the right size wire for my situation, even though my trailer is a 30 amp system. The generator has the potential to produce up to 45 amps. It wasn't clear where that other 15 amps is going so I played it safe and went with 6/2 instead of smaller wire. I will say that 6/2 is a booger to work with. The distance between the strain relief and the terminal in my Multiplus is very short, making it difficult to get such stiff wire into the terminals.

You might want to edit your original post where you said you were using 6/4. I was pretty sure you meant 6/3 so didn't say anything.

So your 50 amp shore power doesn't have two hot legs?

You might want to edit your original post where you said you were using 6/4. I was pretty sure you meant 6/3 so didn't say anything.

So your 50 amp shore power doesn't have two hot legs?
Correction. I'm probably just using wrong terminology. My 50A shore power wire has 2 hot legs and a neutral. Pretty sure it has a ground as well. I'm using a manual transfer switch with a jumper wire so that I can switch between shore and battery without losing total power on both legs of the AC/DC panel. One hot from shore runs directly to the MTS. The other hot and the neutral runs directly to my Quattro.

To address the splicing issue. A/C line voltage splicing or termination should be in a box or enclosure. Mechanical fasteners should be used. With 50 Amp potential don’t use wire nuts. Use a set screw butt splice. NCI has some. No fuse necessary at this location.

AP-10201, Black Insulated in-Line Splice Connector, 2-14 Wire Range, 2.46" L x 0.83" W x 1.4" H, Pre-Filled with Oxide Inhibitor, Easy Re-Entry, Rubber Vinyl Coating, 2 Set Screws

To address the splicing issue. A/C line voltage splicing or termination should be in a box or enclosure. Mechanical fasteners should be used. With 50 Amp potential don’t use wire nuts. Use a set screw butt splice. NCI has some. No fuse necessary at this location.

AP-10201, Black Insulated in-Line Splice Connector, 2-14 Wire Range, 2.46" L x 0.83" W x 1.4" H, Pre-Filled with Oxide Inhibitor, Easy Re-Entry, Rubber Vinyl Coating, 2 Set Screws
Thx!

Back