diy solar

diy solar

Correct me if I'm wrong please..

Solar Panel Efficiency:​

To not to keep opening new posts with newbie questions, a dug up my old topic again.
New posts are cheap and easy. Expecting folks to wade 60 posts deep and get up to speed is a little unreasonable.

Just my $.02
Is that how efficiant it really is?? So 150W x 18,9% = 28,35 Watt ?? Well that is really bad isn't it??
I know it doesn't deliver the 150W but 28 ?
18.9% efficiency means that 81.1% of the suns energy hitting the panel is not converted to electricity.

So to produce 150W, it takes (150W / .189 efficiency =) 793W of "sunshine".

And since one standard sun is 1000W/m^2, that panel will produce 189W/m^2
Given one full sun, and assuming the cells are at 25 degrees C.

The importance of "efficiency" to you is how little area it occupies.

Of greater importance is how much NOCT or PTC power, which means at a realistic operating temperature. "STC" is 25 degrees C, rarely happens in the field. Ratio of NOCT/STC is not the same among modules.

Solar Panel Efficiency:​

Thanks, that were 2 interesting reads. So I get the point on the efficiency rating now.

New posts are cheap and easy. Expecting folks to wade 60 posts deep and get up to speed is a little unreasonable.

Just my $.02
Okay point taken. Yeah maybe you make sense, I just thought when clicking the thread you'll end up at the last post. But if not and need to scroll down 4 pages... okay
18.9% efficiency means that 81.1% of the suns energy hitting the panel is not converted to electricity.
Have read the links from @Bud Martin ? Slowly the puzzle is coming together

So to produce 150W, it takes (150W / .189 efficiency =) 793W of "sunshine".
Yeah I get it, I'm just usually trying to wrap my head around it the other way (sort of).
I've been making al kinds of calculations of; I need 1500Wh a day how much panels and battery cappacity do I need?

But to follow your lead
-1500Wh in 5 sun hours is 300W energy production p hour.
-(300W / .189 efficiency) = 1587W of 'sunshine'
-I get ( theoreticly) 1000W p m2
-I need 1.59 m2 of solar panel
Or to put it in other words: For the production of 300w electrical energy in 1hour I need a surface of 1.59 m2 of panels 'collecting' sun.
-That all theoretical, no other losses calculated, not being on equator, not all 5 hours full sun etc etc

As the titel states; "please correct me if i'm wrong"

Thanks been reading up on all the links provided. ? and been bookmarking some links

I only see Europe as your location so i'll use Paris (and guessing 41 deg, facing due south):

In december, that's 1.38h. July 4.78h

So 1500Wh / 1.38h = 1087W of solar for january (1500/4.78=314 july)

View attachment 123110
You're very good at guessing !! Of all places; I am in France, just 700 km south of paris. :cool:
Okay so that is telling me I'll get a max of 1.38 kWh p day p m2 in Dec.
We are actually around 350 kWh p month so that is 11.3 kWh per day.
That would mean 8,2 m2 of solar panels (11.3 / 1.38)
But then when I look at -for example- Renogy they have a 200W panel that is 27.5x58.7 inch so that is about 1 m2
That would mean 8 panels (rounded for simplicity)
8 x 200W = 1600W 11.3 / 1.6 = 7hours It will mean it produces it capacity in 7 hours?
Sorry but have the feeling something is off here. 7 hours of daylight okay but maybe 3 to 4 hours of real light/sun
Then a 200W panel will never deliver its 200W, especially not in December. So its gonna need even more hours to come to the 11.3kWh
For what i've seen here you may be happy when you get 50% of its rated number in winter. Likely even less.
So something is wrong -? or I'm still not getting it :unsure:

To get 11.3 kWh in a day I feel I'm more likely to need 11.3 kWh x 200% = 22.6 / 5hours = 4500 w capacity
That divided by 200w panels comes to 22,5 solar panels that would be 22.5 m2 and not 8 m2

I'm certainly not attacking you, don't get me wrong here,
but for all what I've been reading of people being way to optimisitic about performance and capacity and days of 'bad' weather,
I dont believe I'll will have enough with 8.2 m2 panels to come to my desired 11.3 kWh p day. Or is that me being to pessimistic now??

Thanks for your time

I'm certainly not attacking you, don't get me wrong here,
but for all what I've been reading of people being way to optimisitic about performance and capacity and days of 'bad' weather,
I dont believe I'll will have enough with 8.2 m2 panels to come to my desired 11.3 kWh p day. Or is that me being to pessimistic now??
No worries, I'm with you on panels not producing their rated watts!

I don't work in panel area, just rated watts.
So 1500Wh / 1.38h = 1087W of solar for january (1500/4.78=314 july)
So for january, you'd probably REALLY need ~1500W of panels and for july about 500W.

If you have access to a panel or 2, measure the volts and amps yourself (vs rated watts) on sunny days and cloudy days, determine what percentage of those you will have and figure out what you need. If its for your mom's pacemaker, oxygen supply, or beer refrigerator, i'd error on the high side.

The closer you can simulate where you intend your array to be, the direction it will be oriented and the angle, the better your numbers will be. The rated watts are rated in (well defined) laboratory conditions so any testing in YOUR conditions will be far more accurate to your calculations.

If you have access to a panel or 2, measure the volts and amps yourself (vs rated watts) on sunny days and cloudy days, determine what percentage of those you will have and figure out what you need.

The rated watts are rated in (well defined) laboratory conditions so any testing in YOUR conditions will be far more accurate to your calculations.

Except what you measure would be Voc and Isc, not Vmp and Imp (watts). The ratio of measured Isc to rated Isc might match ratio to rated power.

If panel has NOCT or PTC ratings, that could work well to interpret what an insolation calculator says.
Some vendors (e.g. SMA) have a calculator and library of panel specs. But it is good to also understand the math yourself.

Okay thanks very much @MisterSandals and @Hedges
I got some new stuff to think about. But I am gonna order some panels and 2 batteries for the house to make a start.

Yesterday I received my new 24V / 1000W inverter after the first one came shipped with a broken main switch.
I need to do some rewirering in my barn but then I got all my lights and some low demanding outlets on solar.
So that my first little project done. ??

Back