diy solar

diy solar

Cost to build Titan gen equivalent?

r00zter

I have been reading/watching a lot of positive reviews of the Titan generator, and am wondering if any of you smart solar engineers have ever spec'd/priced out a custom built system the closely matches the Titan's capabilities? I just thought with all the high quality solar system components and batteries, that someone may have done this to see if they could build something similar or even better that the Titan for similar or less money. I would be interested and thankful for any information or suggestions on a custom build before I drop the money on a Titan which in itself fulfills most of my needs.

I would definitely build my own.
If I find the need for one.
AIO, a couple of server rack batteries, mounted on an appliance dolly/hand truck.
Easily expandable and very versatile.
I tend to go overboard with my builds. So, my design will run about $4k.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply timselectric. If you don't mind, and you have some free time in the future, would you mind listing out the parts of the theoretical system you would build to equal or surpass the capabilities of a Titan 4000? I understand if it's too much trouble. Any other smart guys/girls out there want to spec out a Titan 4000 competitor? Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be an all in one portable unit. It could be just a fixed system with components mounted to a board/wall, with regular batteries like Battle Born on a shelf nearby. Would love to see ideas both ways.... After reading and watching reviews on what people use the Titan for, I think something with the same or greater capabilities as the 4000 would work great as a supplemental, and even a long term solution for our needs, especially if the LP for out generator runs out.

Growatt SPF-5000-ES
Auto transformer
2 x EG4 batteries
Din rail breaker box
And a variety of outlets

Cool, thank-you timselectric! Looking forward to researching those parts. If anyone else has ideas and the time, please post. Thanks.

Looking at the specs of the Titan ( Continuous Power output: 3,000 Watts) you may be able to get by with a Growatt 48V SPF 3000TL LVM – 3kW 120Vac. to match similar output. Maximum PV charging on both is 2000watts; Titan is selling you more solar panels to overpower in the morning and evening.

Titan 4000

Growatt

Thanks jbird. Just checked out the Growatt. Does that brand have a proven track record of reliability? So basically, I would just need that inverter, panels, batteries and wires/connecting hardware? Approx. how many Battle Born 100 Ah 12 V LiFePO4 batteries would i need to equal the capacity you get with the 4000?

Thanks jbird. Just checked out the Growatt. Does that brand have a proven track record of reliability? So basically, I would just need that inverter, panels, batteries and wires/connecting hardware? Approx. how many Battle Born 100 Ah 12 V LiFePO4 batteries would i need to equal the capacity you get with the 4000?

Growatt has been used in many builds on these threads and is trusted as an All in One.

You should stay away from individual 100ah batts and look at server rack 48v packs, as @timselectric mentioned previously. Server racks batts can be seen at Signature Solar. In fact they probably have everything you would need and could spec you a system to purchase. https://signaturesolar.com/shop-all/batteries/

We definitely have a team that can help you out - in fact if you are looking to build your own batteries we actually have 24v cell packs too. I just saw us mentioned and wanted to poke my head in and say hi! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about our products specifically!

I recently purchased a Titan (6,000wh) not yet delivered, great package for my needs. Ordered first week of March.

Last edited:
Back