diy solar

diy solar

Costco in N Las Vegas has solar panels

JWLV

-.-. --.-
Just saw this today. Coleman 100 watt panels for $99.99. Looks like polycrystalline.

Attachments

• 0A975F36-E857-4346-B5EE-3BECB499299C.jpeg
    0A975F36-E857-4346-B5EE-3BECB499299C.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 27
Includes a 8.5 amp charge controller.
Questions:
#1 Does it charge LiFePO4?
#2 Can you use multiple controllers on a single battery/bank?

Highly unlikely that the charge controller supports lifepo4. There are no buttons or settings on the controller. I assume it’s a super cheap controller that supplies a constant voltage for a SLA battery.

Took a look at the controller and manual. It appears to be an slight upgrade from their older 7A SCC, but still appears to be the 1970's "hysteresis" type, where it simply cuts in and out between the high and low voltage and "ping pongs" on and off. At first it happens rapidly, then eventually enough capacity is put in so that the ping-pong effect slows down.

These were in favor long before PWM came along. When people wore bell-bottom pants and wide lapels. They aren't that efficient, and I certainly wouldn't use them in a daily-cyclic operation.

And may still be preferable for some radio hobbiests who eschew any sort of switching (other than the relatively slow on/off ping-pong between the two voltages).

Essentially, with the kit, you'd be paying for an SCC that you would want to immediately replace with something else.

Are there used panels in your area? I purchase them locally for $80 bucks each and they are 305 watt panels. $99 for 100 watts seems pretty steep.

Back