diy solar

diy solar

Could use help deciding on a lithium Amp vs Lossigy

Sheikh32

I am trying to follow this 400 Watt Solar Package W/ Alternator Charging Guide.
I plan to run a mini-fridge/freezer, vent fan, (possibly an induction stove), laptops and smart devices, led lights...
I a definitely new to all of this, but things I am slowly becoming aware of and need further guidance on:

- Stick with BMS. If I see those words on the battery am I good to go or is it needed on several components?
- Watch out for Low temp disconnect, low voltage disconnect. I reside in California, but nonetheless, I plan to take the van to snowy places. What do I need to understand to take preventative measures?
- You shouldn't charge your deep cycle batteries with an Altenator. Does that only apply to deep-cycle AGM batteries? I am trying to set up lithium batteries with alternator charging. What do I need to know?

Ok, with those concerns set aside, I have come across these two batteries since SOK is out of stock.
A) Lossigy 12V300Ah with 200A BMS LiFePO4
B) Ampere Time 12V200Ah LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, with 100A BMS
C) Should I aim for something else?

I am stoked to be part of this community, Thanks!

I just joined the group. Did you ever purchase one of those batteries?

I was looking at both brands but I was looking at Lossigy 200Ah vs Ampere Time 300Ah. I like that the Lossigy 200Ah batteries take up less volume than many competitors. Ampere and others often fit the 200Ah battery in the same case as a 300Ah.

I'm leaning towards Lossigy for a few reasons.
1) Smaller 200Ah volume should fit better in my travel trailer hatch
2) Specs indicate low temp charge cut-off at 32F and discharge at -4F
3) Slightly lower cost. They have two versions, the one I linked is $30 less.

With regard to the low temp cut-off... Ampere states something similar, but a few reviews claim it still charged below freezing temperatures. This could be the same issue with Lossigy, but I really don't plan to use below freezing.

The only other thing I would note are the maximum discharge current. Lossigy 200Ah batteries all appear to have a 100A max. Ampere offers 100A or 200A max options. Both brands jump up to 200A max with the 300Ah batteries.

As for your other questions, I think you will be fine following the directions on your link. in particular the fuses and monitors to protect and understand your system.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the Alternator question. I would be interested to find out if you ever got an answer on this.

Reactions: j8j
Anything new for info on the Lossigy yet? Im looking at buying one possibly. Trying to decide on giving Chins a shot or going with a Lossigy 24v 150ah battery.

I don't know anything about this brand and can't find much info out there on them either. Ampere time is also another consideration but Will mentioned during his tear down of the chins that they seemed to be the same parts and company as Ampere time. Not sure if I should trust thier bms which is reported to have had issues or if some people just got unlu ky and received bad ones.

The Lossigy is 24v 150am but only has a 150a bms. They do say it has low temp disconnect but who knows.

Hope to hear some inco on them soon as I need to buy something now.

In my search to learn more about lossigy, I found this chat group and decided to add my input.

To be honest, lithium batteries scare the living hell out of me, the reason why is, when something goes wrong, it's total destruction.

They have a lot of plus sides to lithium
cost
Weight: so much lighter that a agm that's 200ah
Power: vs agm and lead acid which you can only use 50% of the Ah rating you can use 100% of the lithium
Charging: shorter Charging with 100 to 200amp charger
Space: 1/4 less space

I would rather use and feel safer, but the space and cost is higher:

NPP NP6-225Ah 6V 225Ah AGM Deep Cycle SLA Rechargeable Battery for Golf Cart RV Boat Camper Solar System (4 Pack)​

Example:

I've built a 24v system, 1000AH (16 batteries total) 3600.00 for batteries, other parts 400.00 (wires, terminals, etc) shipping by sea 400.00.
Total cost 4,400.00. Now remember we can only use 50% of the battery pack (500ah) for it to last 5 to 10yrs

Now with lithium, I only need 4 of the 300ah battery which will give me a additional 100ah more than the agm batteries for the same 24v system. One battery shipped to puerto Rico airmail cost $1,310.00 X 4= 5,240.00

Now remember that a enclosure, material, cost is not included in the prices I shown.

Agm enclosure material 800.00
Lithium enclosure material 250.00

Agm enclosure assembling batteries 4 days of labor 1,200.00
Lithium enclosure assembling batteries 1 day of labor 400.00

I would highly recommend building a concrete structure that's waterproof away from your main structure if you are using lithium....

I'm trying to find factory that makes these batteries to see what kinda quality control and environment these batteries are assembled.

I was unable to find much of anything on Lossigy, although they looked like a good price I was also unwilling to chance whether it was going to be of low quality or even dangerous.

I am new to solar but my current understanding of lifepo4, is that it is much safer than regular lithium nutters in respect to catching fire. I also understand that you cannot use 100% of the capacity but somewhere around 80%.

I know that Will in his videos has mentioned lifepo4 chemistry as being very safe and I trust what he is saying as he is a genius in solar.

In the end I decided not to buy any no name batteries, especially ones not tested by Will in his great videos. I know he tested the bigbattery Hawk 170ah unit and he had good things to say about it prior to discovering a leaky cell on his unit. I'm most likely going to get the Hawk unit and lray I don't get a leaky cell in mine.

Back