diy solar

diy solar

Crimp connectors

Akvusn eh

In the milk crate video, Will is very clear that the connectors/terminals that came with the crimper are not good enough, but I don't find a link or description on how to select high quality ones. What are the characteristics/descriptions to look for?
TIA

Its a can of worms if you ask me.

Some are going to say only use marine grade lugs. others are going to say use whatever name brand ones you can get, others will say the cheapest china ones they found are working great.

I have yet to see anyone provide any hard metrics for what objective measures they use for determining good ones from lesser-good ones

Will talks about wires and connectors in this video:

He has links on his site, as well. What you want to look for is UL listed connectors. He mentions the simplest thing to do is just go to Home Depot.

I can confidently state that the ring terminals from Harbor Freight are low quality.

My approach for ring terminals is:
1. Use the proper crimper. Get the right crimper or crimp die for the terminal type. A pair of vice grips is not a proper crimper, but it works in a pinch. <-- See what I did there?
2. Use uninsulated terminals. You can see what you're doing better if there is no insulation in the way. Add heat shrink tubing if necessary.
3. Good quality terminals are worth the money. Quality is difficult to determine from pictures and reviews. I'm not thrilled with the ring terminals I've bought on Amazon.

I started using ferrules last year after I saw them in use here on the forum. Very cool stuff and they worked well. I bought my ferrules and tools from FerrulesDirect.com. I may buy my next set of ring terminals from them also, but it's going to cost 20% more than most 4+ star items on Amazon.

Will talks about wires and connectors in this video:

He has links on his site, as well. What you want to look for is UL listed connectors. He mentions the simplest thing to do is just go to Home Depot.

HD does have some ring terminals. But their selection wasn't very large. Any time you get outside the range of 10 to 22 awg, they don't have much. Maybe it's just my local HD. I found my local Ace Hardware to have an excellent selection. They even had the bigger cable lugs when I couldn't find anything local. I was so impressed that I tracked down the store manager and thanked him for saving my bacon.

HD does have some ring terminals. But their selection wasn't very large. Any time you get outside the range of 10 to 22 awg, they don't have much. Maybe it's just my local HD. I found my local Ace Hardware to have an excellent selection. They even had the bigger cable lugs when I couldn't find anything local. I was so impressed that I tracked down the store manager and thanked him for saving my bacon.

I agree Home Depot didn’t have much of a selection (didn’t have packs of assorted connectors). Hadn’t considered Ace, myself. I will check it out. There’s also Lowe’s.

There is a lot of misinformation around crimpers and terminals. Most terminals are junk. Most crimpers are junk. This a a really good article describing good tools and good terminals, and how to tell them apart.

'Its a can of worms if you ask me"
That's for sure........its a bit inconsistent at best.
For larger terminations I always walked down to the local marine store, their products were mostly Anchor. They even changed over the years, walls seem a little thinner now. I'm doing a few more connections over the next little while so I bought some "Selterm' from Amazon. Their #1 gauge seem to be very good quality although I haven't tried any crimps yet. Crimps can also depend on the wire quality and it conforming to diameter specs. If the wire is loose in the terminal before crimping it doesn't matter whose lug it is.
The important thing is testing. Do a pull test after the crimp and before heat shrink. After assembly of your project load it up and test for heat at connections and measure voltage drops all along the circuit.

In my quest for heavier lugs, I did find some at the local West Marine store. They should have been gold plated for what I paid for them. They didn't have many of each and not a very large selection overall. Buying online ahead of time is the way to go. I tried to do that but needed a different size at the last minute.

Marine Grade Wire & Terminals Vs Automotive Grade​

Through YOUTUBE, I found this crimping terminal video is very effective

520PCS Marine Wire Connectors - Heat Shrink Terminals Specs Ring Fork Spade Butt Connectors, Heat Shrink Electrical Connectors, 12-10,16-14,22-16 Specs Heat Shrink Wire Connector Kit Tinned Red Copper​

, Try click connect

Marine Grade Wire & Terminals Vs Automotive Grade​

Through YOUTUBE, I found this crimping terminal video is very effective

520PCS Marine Wire Connectors - Heat Shrink Terminals Specs Ring Fork Spade Butt Connectors, Heat Shrink Electrical Connectors, 12-10,16-14,22-16 Specs Heat Shrink Wire Connector Kit Tinned Red Copper​

, Try click connect

Titan Heat Shrink Crimp Tool - On Amazon here: CLICK HERE
GROW LUCKY Heat Shrink Terminals - On Amazon here: CLICK HERE
Ancor Brand Duplex Marine Wire - On Amazon Here: CLICK HERE
Ancor Brand Primary Marine Wire - On Amazon Here: CLICK HERE
Split Wire Loom - On Amazon Here: CLICK HERE

Back