diy solar

diy solar

Crimp Press

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
Is there a wire crimper that is bench-top mounted and has a lever arm to pull to crimp wires?
One you can swap out dies for bigger or smaller wires and cables?

It seems like I always need three hands to crimp really thick wires. My hydraulic crimper is great also, but it is usually a three-handed operation also, or it should have been.

Do it the redneck way and put one side of the hydraulic tool in a vice.
I didn't realize that was the redneck way. I thought it was just the way it was normally done! ?

I did find this:

But since it's $685, I thought "well, maybe that vice works fine."

It seems like I always need three hands to crimp really thick wires. My hydraulic crimper is great also, but it is usually a three-handed operation also, or it should have been.
Same.

Here's one recommended last year by @Justin Laureltec for $250-ish. I think about it every time I use my Temco hydraulic but haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger.

I did consider u-bolting one arm of my Temco TH-0012 crimper to the table when I was doing a bunch of 2/0 stuff. That might’ve been more redneck than the vice, but I think it would work. I ended up doing the balancing crimper, cable, lug act and got through it ok. If I had to do that on a regular basis, I’d surely rig some sort of jig/holder for it.

As was doing my 2/0 cables in my TEMCo crimper, I frequently thought of how to mount it. Since I was doing all the cables in my trailer, I wasn't going to mount it there, that's for sure. I got by with putting the non-moving arm of the crimper on the floor. I was often sitting on the floor with my legs hanging out the door so that was a good position for me.

If you do mount the crimper, it better be a very solid mount. That's a lot of force to use for big lugs.

I like big lugs and I cannot lie.
banana.gif

I don't want a 1/0 bench top crimper. I have a hydraulic crimper for that. I have used about 25 times.

I want a 12/14/16/18 awg bench-top crimper, I have used about 20,000 times! But not for $700! ?

I don't want a 1/0 bench top crimper. I have a hydraulic crimper for that. I have used about 25 times.

I want a 12/14/16/18 awg bench-top crimper, I have used about 20,000 times! But not for $700! ?

Yeah, $700 just isn't enough. It sounds like low quality stuff. Now THIS cordless crimper is high quality at $3,000!

That's a stupid amount of money.

I have a tough time getting small gauge crimps right. With a benchtop electric crimper I could easily increase the number of failures ten fold. :ROFLMAO:

How about one of these? 24 to 28 awg, $1500

we actually bought a few like this in the $1000 range. When you've got a tech at a bench assembling connectors, productivity and quality counts.

Harnesses build by a local shop (mostly 14 to 20 awg) cost us about $10 per crimp. Like 100 spade terminals and pins in connector bodies for $1000. Think that was more than one of my PCBA including components.

As much as possible I buy pre-terminated cables and cut them if desired. Use wire wrap for prototypes or one-off assembly.

How about one of these? 24 to 28 awg, $1500

we actually bought a few like this in the $1000 range. When you've got a tech at a bench assembling connectors, productivity and quality counts.

Harnesses build by a local shop (mostly 14 to 20 awg) cost us about $10 per crimp. Like 100 spade terminals and pins in connector bodies for $1000. Think that was more than one of my PCBA including components.

As much as possible I buy pre-terminated cables and cut them if desired. Use wire wrap for prototypes or one-off assembly.
I do have a JST crimper. I discovered them in about 2008 when I was trying to figure out how to NOT cut the OEM wires on my Yamaha FJR.

I found the OEM plugs and pins, and of course, you need the right crimper for the job. The JST crimper turned my world upside down when it comes to crimping. I paid $95 for it. Every single crimp I have used it on looks just like what you see on any OEM crimp.

Now my "shade tree" custom lights have done no harm to the harness on the bike and since it is an OEM connection, it actually looks OEM.

What really blows me away is every time I get to hunt down what is the exact part for something is on DigiKey, you find out that there is an entire family of that part and about 40 variations of it.

Then .... just get the Harbor Freight tool and put it in a vice .... LOL See, I'm so old school and redneck that I use LOL instead of an emoji ...

Then .... just get the Harbor Freight tool and put it in a vice .... LOL See, I'm so old school and redneck that I use LOL instead of an emoji ...
I want a long easy use lever! And no I'm not going to use a broomstick and duck tape. (actually I probably will do just that)

Since we're on the topic of crimping, I would really like to find a cross reference that pointed out what size and type of crimp die to use with each type of connector. I realized recently that I was using the wrong crimp die on my heat shrink insulated connectors and making a mess of every one of them. A 3'x5' poster that I could hang on the garage wall would be helpful.

Is there something you can get to hold the wires instead of the crimper?

We used to have elaborate soldering stands that could hold wires at odd angles and very securely at a place I worked, but have never seen them for sale. That would have been useful for what you’re saying and can be brought to the compent instead of lugging the big heavy component to the bench. Was kind of like a third hand.

Since we're on the topic of crimping, I would really like to find a cross reference that pointed out what size and type of crimp die to use with each type of connector. I realized recently that I was using the wrong crimp die on my heat shrink insulated connectors and making a mess of every one of them. A 3'x5' poster that I could hang on the garage wall would be helpful.
Is there something you can get to hold the wires instead of the crimper?

We used to have elaborate soldering stands that could hold wires at odd angles and very securely at a place I worked, but have never seen them for sale. That would have been useful for what you’re saying and can be brought to the compent instead of lugging the big heavy component to the bench. Was kind of like a third hand.
Google Third Hand Soldering:

Attachments

• Die-Set-Selection.jpg
    Die-Set-Selection.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 12
This has been a frustration and trial and error process for me also.

Using my Temco TH0005 hydraulic for 2/0 cables and lugs ... I had to actually go down to a 2 gauge die in order to get the crimp I wanted.
I don't know if that is because of inconsistency in in Temco dies or what.

Back