diy solar

diy solar

Crimp Press

This has been a frustration and trial and error process for me also.

Using my Temco TH0005 hydraulic for 2/0 cables and lugs ... I had to actually go down to a 2 gauge die in order to get the crimp I wanted.
I don't know if that is because of inconsistency in in Temco dies or what.

I have had way fewer problems with the hydraulic crimper than with much smaller gauge stuff. With only one gauge of wire did I have to use a smaller die from the TEMCo kit than the wire gauge. I asked TEMCo about that and their response was that there isn't a consistent reference for cables. That seemed a bit odd to me, but I guess 2 gauge from one manufacturer isn't exactly the same as 2 gauge from another manufacturer. But in this case, I was using TEMCo wire!

I've said this before: If I had know how easy it was to crimp large gauge wire, I would have bought the equipment years ago.

I have had way fewer problems with the hydraulic crimper than with much smaller gauge stuff. With only one gauge of wire did I have to use a smaller die from the TEMCo kit than the wire gauge. I asked TEMCo about that and their response was that there isn't a consistent reference for cables. That seemed a bit odd to me, but I guess 2 gauge from one manufacturer isn't exactly the same as 2 gauge from another manufacturer. But in this case, I was using TEMCo wire!

I've said this before: If I had know how easy it was to crimp large gauge wire, I would have bought the equipment years ago.

I got the lugs and wire from Windy Nation ... Maybe I will get some wire and lugs from Temco and see. Sure seems like 2/0 wire and lugs should be a standard size.

I got the lugs and wire from Windy Nation ... Maybe I will get some wire and lugs from Temco and see. Sure seems like 2/0 wire and lugs should be a standard size.

Agreed. I don't see how a die or wire could deviate that much. 2/0 to 2? That's a big difference. I went down only one step in my case.

Reactions: Zil
Lugs come in a variety of wall thickness. Some are thin and may be flared. Some are thick and have a cone to help get strands in.
Imagine how thick that lug would be if it had same cross-section as a 2/0 wire.

Reactions: Zil
"It seems like I always need three hands to crimp really thick wires." and "I want a 12/14/16/18 awg bench-top crimper"
They are two different questions. I don't find 12 to 18awg to be really thick wires. Not even 8 or 10awg.

Agreed. I don't see how a die or wire could deviate that much. 2/0 to 2? That's a big difference. I went down only one step in my case.
Sounds like operator error. It is so easy to confuse 2/0 and 2.

Since we're on the topic of crimping, I would really like to find a cross reference that pointed out what size and type of crimp die to use with each type of connector. I realized recently that I was using the wrong crimp die on my heat shrink insulated connectors and making a mess of every one of them. A 3'x5' poster that I could hang on the garage wall would be helpful.

If you are worried about this i recomend the FTZ crimpers that were attached in this same thread, not necessary bench mounted, they also have a portable one.

The advantage is that you can buy same brand lugs, wich are color coded an should exactly match the die size.

I recommend checking the marinehowto site, lots of cool info about this subject, he swears for the FTZ's. I ended up buying one :)

Sounds like operator error. It is so easy to confuse 2/0 and 2.
Not operator error. Attached is a picture of the wire, die, and crimped lug used.

There is a little "squeeze out" on the sides of this crimped lug, but the next size die up ... which I think was 1 AWG .... was too big. The die went metal to metal on the crimp tool and the crimp was not tight enough.
The 2/0 die was quite a bit too big.

Edit: I will say ... the first one I crimped with the 1 AWG die first and then crimped again with the 2 AWG looked better than this one, but I wasn't going to do 2 steps for all.

2_0Wire.jpg
2GauDie.jpg
Crimp.jpg

Last edited:
Based on the pinching, I'd say the 2 awg die was too small for that terminal. But it was what sufficiently collapsed the body around the wire.

Maybe 2/0 die is meant for a thicker wall terminal, and would work properly on that.

Based on the pinching, I'd say the 2 awg die was too small for that terminal. But it was what sufficiently collapsed the body around the wire.

Maybe 2/0 die is meant for a thicker wall terminal, and would work properly on that.
I agree that the 2 AWG was a little too small ..... but the next size up was too big .... I'd rather live with the pinch out and know the crimp is as tight as possible.

The whole sizing thing just doesn't seem to be a cookie cutter thing. I bought the lugs and wire from what I thought was a reputable company .... the wire did fit the lug ... I couldn't have gotten any larger wire in there.

The good news is that if a die is too large it is possible to go to progressively smaller ones til a tight crimp is achieved and not have to discard the lug.

Only a matched pair of terminal and crimping tool that were tested together produces a "UL Listed Connection" or "UL Classified Connection"

... and you have demonstrated why.

Not finding a crimping tool there or data sheet which lists one.
It says "UL listed"; the documentation for that would have said which tools works.
Because these are the lighter weight terminals with flared end, they won't fit he tool meant for a thick wall terminal.

Here's a terminal and tools. The second (and much cheaper) tool mentions UL-486A in data sheet.
All I find on this site are flared as well.

Back