diy solar

diy solar

Crimp vs. solder

elewis33

I put some Anderson connectors on several of my battery connections (to the charger, electrical distribution panel, etc) and soldered the Anderson lugs to the 8 AWG wire coming off the battery. Recently, I was told that crimping is preferred to soldering, because if the wires got hot the solder could melt and presumably disconnect.

My thinking was that soldering would provide a much more secure and permanent connection than crimping, along with improving resistance across the crimp. I understand that crimping the right size lugs on the wire, with a good/proper crimp tool is a good solid connection (a "cold weld"?) but are they really superior to soldering?

Crimping is always appropriate. As you note, when done correctly.

Sometimes solder is ok. I always crimp.

Crimping should be done in a way that is completely adequate to hold the wire to the lug. If then soldered, melted solder (yikes) will not cause (another) failure.

If the connector is going to be subject to movement like in a vehicle while driving, the crimp will be better. If the connector is going to be in a solid position and not moved then solder would be fine as long as it is not overheated. I crimp because I normally work on campers, my dad solders and have not had a problem.

Back