diy solar

diy solar

Critter Cam - Thought it was simple - now I'm here

lyoung72

I've been here for 5 months - I joined during that time. Like some I got here via a Harbor Freight kit. Unlike most I don't have an RV, house or shed; just a need to power 2 (maybe more) PTZ video cameras. I watched a couple Will youtube videos - put up a system and blew my charge controller first thing. From there I got a new charge controller and several more hours of videos (to include harsh weather battery banks and solar panel tracking arrays) - I'm here asking for help. I connected my system but it didn't run through the night. I've read several admonishments about doing the math so went to AltE and:
----------------IMG_3484.JPGIMG_3487.JPG
Battery Bank Sizing:
Watt Hours/Day: 240, Days w/o sunshine: 2, Lowest Temp: 30F
Results:
Battery Bank Capacity: 1546, Battery Bank Voltage: 12V, Battery Bank Capacity: 129 amp hours, 3 String Configuration: 43 amp hours/String (Yikes!)
Panels:

Exposure: Indianapolis/5 sun hours, Solar Power Needed: 62.4W or .06 kW, Solar Panels Needed: 4 - 20W or 1 100W, Solar Charge Controller: 7amps or 9 amps
-----------------
I feel like I'm close but don't want to spend more money until I have it figured out. I personally benefited from the folks who did diagrams and pictures so I could get a visual context about what was going on. I now have 3 batteries (exactly the same 12V 35AH) and a 100W panel (originally just 4 - 25W Harbor Freight panels). The requirement is to operate Qty 2 - 24hr/day PTZ cameras (10Wh). What can I use on this Apollo 13 return-to-earth project to meet my goal? BTW I use a TP-Link external access point to get video from cameras (that works great - I have awesome WiFi in backyard).

Trying to summarize: 1 (one) 100 watt PV panel, 3 (three)12volt 35Ah batteries, charge controller unknown

Assuming, 3 batteries are wired parallel. 35Ah x 3=105Ah battery capacity

Need to know specifications/model number for charge controller and solar panel (Voc, Isc), and
what is Battery Bank Capacity: 1546?
what is Battery Bank Capacity:129 amp hours
what is 3 string configuration: 43 amp hours/string?

SCC - PowMr PWM 60A,
Panels - Harbor Freight = 21.6V VOC (4 x 25W) and HQST 100P = 21.4, 100W
Inverter - CenTech 750W
Based on the recommendation from AltE I have 3 batteries but I have not connected them together. In terms of the input, I played around with different variables, attached is the default average sun hours based on my location.

Attachments

• AltE2020-09-04 ALY.jpg
    AltE2020-09-04 ALY.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 9
OK, you have a RBL-60A solar charge controller, you can connect all 3 batteries in parallel (+ to + to +) and (- to - to -)
you have 1 100 watt PV panel (don't mix panels)
connect like this:

1599566052867.png

MoPat - Boom - modified according to drawing. Working great!! I just needed a little encouragement to wire the batteries together. Seemed like overkill, up for week with no problems. So, I have a month to figure out what to do about the cold weather.

Joe - the class of camera I have is the same as what you've spec'ed. I had a solar version, works great during day - dies out at night (at least for me). In fact that reality is what led me to try solar - that and a gift card to Harbor Freight. I've since moved on from the hobby kit.

I love this forum. I'm learning a ton from many folks. I just wish I could get some credit hours for all the videos I've watched and blogs I've read!

I’ve had the non motorized version for a couple of years and never had it go dead in Ohio which is not known for good solar production in the winter ?.

It has space to add an additional battery if needed.

This is the one I have:

@JoeHam have you ever opened to see the batt type in those? I wonder how that deals with charging below 0...I guess just fine if it lasted a few years..

They look like a AA battery and there are extra spots to add a couple more. They come with 2 installed.

And they should be dirt cheap to replace if I don’t get 10,000 cycles out of them ?

I will open it up and post a picture when I can to see if someone can identify the chemistry for sure. I just had shoulder surgery yesterday but should have use of both hands back in a week or two.

Back