diy solar

diy solar

Crypto Currency Mining a Giant Pyramid Scheme?

Even still. Even if everyone had a level 3 supercharger the average driver puts on 25 ish miles per day. Not much by way of kwh.
Wait a min. Level 3 charger is 250KW. Basic tesla is 50kw. There are 286 million cars registered in the US alone.
If 1/3 charge at the same time at level 3, thats 95 million cars at 250KW each. At the same time. Just in the US.
Thats 2.375 x 10 to the thirteenth watts PER HOUR. Thats gunna need some big wires.

Wait a min. Level 3 charger is 250KW. Basic tesla is 50kw. There are 286 million cars registered in the US alone.
If 1/3 charge at the same time at level 3, thats 95 million cars at 250KW each. At the same time. Just in the US.
Thats 2.375 x 10 to the thirteenth watts PER HOUR. Thats gunna need some big wires.
And back to the topic of bitcoin, its a bit more energy than a few thousand people mining bitcoin.

And back to the topic of bitcoin, its a bit more energy than a few thousand people mining bitcoin.
Tell you what though. I really enjoy these conversations with you guys. Would love to buy ya a beer some time.

If you really think that is how it works then you're not qualified to discuss the matter.

1/3 of cars will not be charging at the same time either lmao

If 1/3 of them are charging at the same time at 250kw then the cars will be done charging in just a couple minutes.

What do we do with the other 23.8 hours of the day after charging every vehicle on the planet based on average daily driving range?

Why do you think everyone needs a full charge from zero to 100% every day despite only averaging 26 miles a day?

Why would it be free? Just like paid parking, you pay to charge?
Exactly, I have no idea why @Sanwizard believes i meant for free. I had this debate with a friend of mine and we were running numbers on how many charging stations could fit on the property of an average Gas station if we looked 15 years into the future and EV's become the dominant vehicles on the road.

Fit is the operative word because you cannot just line people up in tight line and expect the guy in the middle who is getting a 10 Minute charge to have to wait until the guy in front of him and behind him finish getting a 20 minute charge, so cramming in chargers is never going to work. Given the charge time plus the time to wait on a charger to become available you might be stuck for an hour. IMHO Gas stations in general will not be conducive to a conversion to EV charging and will most likely drop in number significantly in the next 20 years.

If you think about it why would anyone want to use a gas station when they can pull into a shopping mall and charge up while they shop for 30 minutes. It's easy enough for the devices to know SOC and calculate how much you will need to pay before the charging even starts. You just push in the plug and swipe your CC and when you get back to your Vehicle has the Kwh of energy you paid for already pushed into your batteries. It's going to be a great time for any business that has parking space, as they can run charge stations and make some extra cash from it while selling their products.

Exactly. Convenience stores will make a return as "gas stations" are replaced by outlets in parking spots everywhere else. Most likely you'll just have an account like you do with a tesla to plug in and walk away.

And if not that, then everyone will just do the charging at home with a few dedicated charging stations spread out like they are now except more common.

Exactly, I have no idea why @Sanwizard believes i meant for free. I had this debate with a friend of mine and we were running numbers on how many charging stations could fit on the property of an average Gas station if we looked 15 years into the future and EV's become the dominant vehicles on the road.

Fit is the operative word because you cannot just line people up in tight line and expect the guy in the middle who is getting a 10 Minute charge to have to wait until the guy in front of him and behind him finish getting a 20 minute charge, so cramming in chargers is never going to work. Given the charge time plus the time to wait on a charger to become available you might be stuck for an hour. IMHO Gas stations in general will not be conducive to a conversion to EV charging and will most likely drop in number significantly in the next 20 years.

If you think about it why would anyone want to use a gas station when they can pull into a shopping mall and charge up while they shop for 30 minutes. It's easy enough for the devices to know SOC and calculate how much you will need to pay before the charging even starts. You just push in the plug and swipe your CC and when you get back to your Vehicle has the Kwh of energy you paid for already pushed into your batteries. It's going to be a great time for any business that has parking space, as they can run charge stations and make some extra cash from it while selling their products.
Lighten up robby. I kid around a lot. Just yanking your chain as they say.

Exactly. Convenience stores will make a return as "gas stations" are replaced by outlets in parking spots everywhere else. Most likely you'll just have an account like you do with a tesla to plug in and walk away.

And if not that, then everyone will just do the charging at home with a few dedicated charging stations spread out like they are now except more common.
I am gunna wait till they fly. ICON A5 all the way. On the street, I would rather be like Will Smith in iRobot, and drive a good old gas engine motorcycle.

Convenience stores and gas stations will have to transition. For awhile they will need to service both as ICE cars dwindle and electric cars grow. During this time some new stations will open that service electric vehicles only. They will need waiting areas, and the charging stations will dominate the parking lot design. No more pumps w/ rooves. Maybe more like a covered parking area where the parking roof is covered in solar panels. Maybe the waiting area is also a coffee shop.

The industry is already thinking about this:

Convenience stores in the city will not bother. People will charge at home. May still pop in to get a slurpee but then be on their way. More likely to be at Target/Walmart where the person may spend 30 minutes filling a cart and checking out or patronize the restaurant next door for a sit down meal.

On the road people will want some type of lounge to sit down. Possibly with some entertainment.

Convenience stores in the city will not bother. People will charge at home. May still pop in to get a slurpee but then be on their way. More likely to be at Target/Walmart where the person may spend 30 minutes filling a cart and checking out or patronize the restaurant next door for a sit down meal.

On the road people will want some type of lounge to sit down. Possibly with some entertainment.
That may be a solution for 50% of the population but fora lot of people in the cities they will probably have no choice but to find locations to charge their vehicles.

If you could put a number on it, how much longer do you think a Level 3 charge would take for an 85-100Kwh vehicle versus filling a vehicle with gas? On the surface this may seem like an easy question but factor in dumb people, failed credit cards and slow pokes. I know it typically takes me about ten minutes at the gas station and most of that time is spent waiting in line. My best guess was 30-40 minutes with an EV. Convenience would be a huge factor in where I went for a recharge.

Looking further into the future say 2050 another idea that came up was a limited amount of universal battery designs for all EV's, maybe three designs in total. You pull up to a spot at EV station and a robotic system working underneath the car scans the battery and then unbolts the battery and slides it out on a conveyor belt just below ground level and then a fully charged battery is bolted back in place. Your in and out in 5 minutes!

That may be a solution for 50% of the population but fora lot of people in the cities they will probably have no choice but to find locations to charge their vehicles.

If you could put a number on it, how much longer do you think a Level 3 charge would take for an 85-100Kwh vehicle versus filling a vehicle with gas? On the surface this may seem like an easy question but factor in dumb people, failed credit cards and slow pokes. I know it typically takes me about ten minutes at the gas station and most of that time is spent waiting in line. My best guess was 30-40 minutes with an EV. Convenience would be a huge factor in where I went for a recharge.

Looking further into the future say 2050 another idea that came up was a limited amount of universal battery designs for all EV's, maybe three designs in total. You pull up to a spot at EV station and a robotic system working underneath the car scans the battery and then unbolts the battery and slides it out on a conveyor belt just below ground level and then a fully charged battery is bolted back in place. Your in and out in 5 minutes!
Way too much liability involved in swapping a used battery pack into a random person's car.

Not a new idea by any means and some systems have even been tested iirc, but not a good solution.

Yes and who wants to stand around a 7-11 for 30+ minutes?

Swap is great for fleet service but will come at a high price for individuals. I would hesitate to buy a new 400 mile EV and the blindly swap my new battery into the system. Or maybe it would be on a subscription service.... that is where the cost will go to the roof.

Most charging in the city will very likely move to the home or workplace. Once landlords realize they need charging to attract residents the infrastructure will be added.

I will say I have not stopped at a gas station or convenience store in a decade of driving an EV. Really becomes something to avoid. Only if I must drive a gasoline vehicle does it happen.

Maybe the swap out will mean that you dont technically own the battery? And when you purchase the vehicle, the cost is extremely low for the vehicle itself. You just "Rent" the battery while you drive around? Then you dont have to worry about buying a vehicle with an abused battery.

Yes and who wants to stand around a 7-11 for 30+ minutes?

Swap is great for fleet service but will come at a high price for individuals. I would hesitate to buy a new 400 mile EV and the blindly swap my new battery into the system. Or maybe it would be on a subscription service.... that is where the cost will go to the roof.

Most charging in the city will very likely move to the home or workplace. Once landlords realize they need charging to attract residents the infrastructure will be added.

I will say I have not stopped at a gas station or convenience store in a decade of driving an EV. Really becomes something to avoid. Only if I must drive a gasoline vehicle does it happen.
What do you guys do when you just pull in from work, and the battery is just about dead, and then your wife screams "the baby is coming!". ? Ambulance I guess right?

I am asking cause I want to buy an EV, but have some concerns about long distance vacations( how many charging stations available in the desert?) And emergency situations. How do you guys handle that?

Maybe the swap out will mean that you dont technically own the battery? And when you purchase the vehicle, the cost is extremely low for the vehicle itself. You just "Rent" the battery while you drive around? Then you dont have to worry about buying a vehicle with an abused battery.
The liability is unchanged in this scenario.

In
What do you guys do when you just pull in from work, and the battery is just about dead, and then your wife screams "the baby is coming!". ? Ambulance I guess right?

I am asking cause I want to buy an EV, but have some concerns about long distance vacations( how many charging stations available in the desert?) And emergency situations. How do you guys handle that?
You'd do the same thing you'd do if you pulled in the driveway on E.

Plan ahead to avoid it.

Back