diy solar

diy solar

Currently 10 cents/kWh but what is to come...?

heitjer

Hello All!
I have been following Will for some time but never felt that I have a real need for battery backup. Until last year my electricity was 8.5 cent/kWh while I was locked in a very long contract. When I renewed with another company it went up to 10 cents but looking at the current renewal rates and the things to come (rolling outages) I have a complete renewed interest in solar and battery backup. My average usage over the last years per month is 3000 kWh.

Here is my

(A) MINIMUM setup / need:
  • keep grid but have automatic switch over to battery backup on certain circuits (I have 4 critical loads 2 x refrigerators and 1 x freezer and 1 x security & internet) ~ 400 W
    --> I was thinking the EG4 LifePower4 48V 100Ah and the EG4 3000W Offgrid Inverter as seen in one of Will's videos

• What I am missing in this picture is a recommendation to an automatic switch that disconnects the grid so I do not feed back. The wife factor is really important here and I can not rely on someone physically switching this on power outages.
(B) NICE setup
  • same as above but be able to also use PV generated power to reduce the bill in the future
    --> the Ecoflow Delta Pro seems to be headed this route, especially with the smart grid pull out panel.

• Downside - very high cost and potentially some uncertainties on priority (automatic) charging Delta Pro from PV and/or grid
(C) BEST setup
  • same as (A) or (B) and Gas generator automatic tie in in case batteries drain too much
    --> I had seen a video (can find it anymore) where someone had the inverter automatically start the gas generator in need to refill the battery banks. Does this work with (A) or (B)
(A) and (B) will be PV charged with 2500 Watt panels.

With option A you can connect the grid to the input of the inverter and it will handle switching power sources automatically based on what settings you select

Last edited:
Back