diy solar

diy solar

Custom cover for battery mains?

Firstascent

Solar Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I’ve hit a roadblock on my design and looking for some fresh ideas.

The closeup photo below is the main Pos/Neg of one of my batteries, I’d like to make a custom cover for the Pos terminal.

In all honesty, I’m not concerned of anything touching it due to its location and it’s basically in one big wood box, really the only way something could touch it is human error (ie. me working in there).

I’ve been thinking on this for a few weeks now but am stuck on ideas :)
Let me know if you have anything that might spark something in my brain.

I’ve custom built everything else, this is the last custom piece needed, I think ;)

DE473B93-8A37-4597-91BE-B94562F50F65.jpeg

C9AD80C7-BE43-45C2-B151-1CCF5D4E583C.jpeg

Why not just buy some plexiglass and fabricate a cover for the whole bank of batteries? You can heat bend it or glue it. That way, all is protected but still visible. Something like a larger version of the (fuse holder? ) in the pictures.

Why not just buy some plexiglass and fabricate a cover for the whole bank of batteries? You can heat bend it or glue it. That way, all is protected but still visible. Something like a larger version of the (fuse holder? ) in the pictures.
Hmmm possibly. I didn’t want to just stick a flat piece of plexiglass over it, but I never thought about heating/bending to make something more unique.
I will have to get some small samples to test with and see what I come up with

You may want to search for images of GBS LiFePO4 prismatics to see how they did it.

Each blue prismatic cell, has a snap-on purple plastic cover that sits on top of the cells. Waay cool when I was starting out since I didn't have to build my top cover. Example

Think thin inverted box cover with holes on sides as necessary for each cell.

You may want to search for images of GBS LiFePO4 prismatics to see how they did it.

Each blue prismatic cell, has a snap-on purple plastic cover that sits on top of the cells. Waay cool when I was starting out since I didn't have to build my top cover. Example

Think thin inverted box cover with holes on sides as necessary for each cell.
You had me at purple ? that’s my favorite color :) thanks, I haven’t seen this before so will look into it more, and thanks for the initial link too

No problem. Just for interest, GBS sacrifices a bit of high-end performance for safety. Customer usually gets the cell covers. The electrolyte is a bit less toxic than others if the prismatic/pouches are punctured.

Since these are mostly designed for utility EV use (or were), that was a consideration in case of collision.

Maybe bend some Kydex sheets? Go to youtube and you will find many different projects bending the sheet.

Either plexiglass or kydex should work well for you. Heat them slowly to give them time to become pliable. One good way to get repeatability is to make a mold out of wood and then press the pliable sheet over the mold. You could also just hold the sheet over the mold and use a heat gun to slowly get the sheet very soft so that it will drape over the mold.

Another option is 3D printing if you have one or know a friend with one. I printed covers for my batteries, but each one took most of a day to complete, so it wasn't fast. I will print covers for the exposed lugs after I get the batteries in place.

PXL_20220922_034025528.png

The covers clip onto the center rails of the boxes:
PXL_20220922_034118802.MP.png

I also went the plexiglass route. They make a special solvent that welds the plexi pieces together. I made a half box that slides into a groove at the back of the battery shelf. Turned out to be quite stable.

Attachments

• 20221012_073640.jpg
    20221012_073640.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221012_073656.jpg
    20221012_073656.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 10
KYDEX sheets are great for making custom shapes, covers, etc.

Hey everyone,

I’ve hit a roadblock on my design and looking for some fresh ideas.

The closeup photo below is the main Pos/Neg of one of my batteries, I’d like to make a custom cover for the Pos terminal.

In all honesty, I’m not concerned of anything touching it due to its location and it’s basically in one big wood box, really the only way something could touch it is human error (ie. me working in there).

I’ve been thinking on this for a few weeks now but am stuck on ideas :)
Let me know if you have anything that might spark something in my brain.

I’ve custom built everything else, this is the last custom piece needed, I think ;)

View attachment 114668

View attachment 114669

Back