diy solar

diy solar

custom made battery box for eve LF280K cells

sergea

Solar Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I have a company that is working on designing a custom 16s eve LP280K cell box that includes their own BMS 200A. I spent the money to have them do it. And hopefully some of you will be interested (and possibly share the initial cost ;-)) anyway, here is the initial design. The BMS screen will also be added.

it will be professional design, with flexible bus bar, fuse, bms, cell holder / insulation.

Just bring you your cells and you're done.

Any feed back ?

1641911652648.png

Interesting. I’m under the impression that diy cell availability will change over time and therefore cell sizes may vary. Maybe a larger box design that can accommodate a variety of sizes works be smart.

Thank for your feedback. The battery is already very heavy with 280Ah cells :) personaly I avoid > 302Ah cells, they tends to bloat. Everything inside is custome made according to this specific cell size (EVE LF280K) .

What kind of bms? Is it Bluetooth compatible and fully users programmable? Those are key issues to me. So a version without bms might be a good idea too.

What kind of bms? Is it Bluetooth compatible and fully users programmable? Those are key issues to me. So a version without bms might be a good idea too.
That front panel is cut out for the Seplos BMS.

Great idea. I do agree it does need some sort of wheels. Maybe consider adding 2 wheels and a handle that slides back into itself. Kinda like a dolly. What's the cost of one of these?

Without wheels you're never going to move it, unless you have a fork-lift truck, or your best friend is The Hulk.
hahaha, there's a dedicate stand that could be design also. just have to pay for the initial design.

seplos BMS, fully programmable, no BT. if you really need aJK BMS, better to get a box from Amy

Great idea. I do agree it does need some sort of wheels. Maybe consider adding 2 wheels and a handle that slides back into itself. Kinda like a dolly. What's the cost of one of these?
The design is in progress, I don't know the final cost yet. But its possible to have a dedicate stand with wheels.

1642092076559.png

Make it compatible with dewalt tstak.
Anyone who wants wheels can buy the wheel base locally.
Saves shipping and provides more flexibilty compared to a custom solution.

instead of stacks, i highly suggest you make sure the enclosure fits a standard 19" server rack

Cost will make or break this, so until you have an idea, I am not sure how far you will get. Figure $150-160 per kwh for the actual cells, and the ready to use market is sitting at $300 kwh. My guess is you are capped at maybe $500 to make it worth it to reach your target buyer which to me is the person that wants something that looks pretty but doesn't want to pay for ready to use. You are not going to win the DIY crowd that doesn't give a crap how it looks, and you are not going to win the "I am terrified of electricity and not willing to wire something up" crowd, so you have the in between people to work with.

On the other hand, I likely don't know what the hell I am talking about :p

I do agree with @houseofancients and would stick with some more flexible options. A fully custom box restricts the potential usecases. Whereas someone prefers a box-on-wheels, others prefer 19".

From an economical point of view it does make a lot of sense to make it kind-of modular: 19" wide, and provide options.
That makes the bare enclosure more profitable since you can make more of them than multiple custom options

- Brackets for 19" installation (and add extentable side-rails to support it on the back of a cabinet - which is needed due to the weight
- Base with wheels for the ones who want to have 'the big box'
- Those locks to stack them
- Wallmount brackets and a nice cover for wallmounting.

Personally, I think 280Ah is too much of a hassle due the weight involved. There is a reason why most of them are 100-120Ah @ 16S max.. that makes it much easier to handle. 280Ah+ is going to be a PITA to handle, even if it might be cheaper, I still think ppl might prefer the more workable smaller ones and use 2 or 3 or so.

Cost will make or break this, so until you have an idea, I am not sure how far you will get. Figure $150-160 per kwh for the actual cells, and the ready to use market is sitting at $300 kwh. My guess is you are capped at maybe $500 to make it worth it to reach your target buyer which to me is the person that wants something that looks pretty but doesn't want to pay for ready to use. You are not going to win the DIY crowd that doesn't give a crap how it looks, and you are not going to win the "I am terrified of electricity and not willing to wire something up" crowd, so you have the in between people to work with.

On the other hand, I likely don't know what the hell I am talking about :p
the idea is you bring just only your cells, nothing more . I believe the prototype will cost me around 500 $ with BMS, Yes I'am pretty sure we're close to not worth to build it yourself bcoz 1300 US $ 48V 100Ah battery are already widely available.

I do agree with @houseofancients and would stick with some more flexible options. A fully custom box restricts the potential usecases. Whereas someone prefers a box-on-wheels, others prefer 19".

From an economical point of view it does make a lot of sense to make it kind-of modular: 19" wide, and provide options.
That makes the bare enclosure more profitable since you can make more of them than multiple custom options

- Brackets for 19" installation (and add extentable side-rails to support it on the back of a cabinet - which is needed due to the weight
- Base with wheels for the ones who want to have 'the big box'
- Those locks to stack them
- Wallmount brackets and a nice cover for wallmounting.

Personally, I think 280Ah is too much of a hassle due the weight involved. There is a reason why most of them are 100-120Ah @ 16S max.. that makes it much easier to handle. 280Ah+ is going to be a PITA to handle, even if it might be cheaper, I still think ppl might prefer the more workable smaller ones and use 2 or 3 or so.
you're right, you can already peek theirs finish 100-150Ah batteries product if you wish, look for seplos. that been said we all mostly buy 280 or 302 cells :)

Looks good, but as for many, cells are alreay on the ship or ordered/payed. So a kit without batteries would be great (+ optional seplos BMS), i ordered 80 cells for 5.
I asked seplos if they are interested in promotion / group buy price :) They will decide after chinese new year etc.

Last edited:
Back