diy solar

diy solar

custom made battery box for eve LF280K cells

this would be a warranty case...
not sure where you bought the cells, but the supplier should replace this one, as the stud was of inferior quality
That’s interesting. I’ve raised it with Gav at Lynx who I bought the battery from. He’s been excellent so far and happy to hop on calls to assist me so hoping it gets worked out. He was recommended on a few FB groups so I went down the word of mouth route and bought from him.

That’s interesting. I’ve raised it with Gav at Lynx who I bought the battery from. He’s been excellent so far and happy to hop on calls to assist me so hoping it gets worked out. He was recommended on a few FB groups so I went down the word of mouth route and bought from him.
don't know this seller , but do let us know how it ends :)
good luck

don't know this seller , but do let us know how it ends
Likewise. Out of interest, what make / Ah cell is that?

It doesn't look as bad as I thought - I guessed the weld had detached too. If the supplier doesn't sort it, I'm wondering if there's enough thread to add an extender or similar like this? Assuming stainless steel is a suitable material - I'm no expert on that, sorry.

Did Gav do anything to help you out. I have done the same as your self not sure if I should bother him about it

Did Gav do anything to help you out. I have done the same as your self not sure if I should bother him about it
I’ve had a chat to him and he seemed happy for me to send it back to him for him to fix or to fix myself. I’m thinking of having a go at fixing it myself though.

I have access to a pillar drill so thinking of buying a helicoil kit and giving it a go.

Let me know how you get on.

I’ve had a chat to him and he seemed happy for me to send it back to him for him to fix or to fix myself. I’m thinking of having a go at fixing it myself though.

I have access to a pillar drill so thinking of buying a helicoil kit and giving it a go.

Let me know how you get on.
Don't drill too deep into the battery aluminum term point. I hope you can extract the broken stud from the aluminum term point before you start the heli coil install hole drilling process.

Don't drill too deep into the battery aluminum term point. I hope you can extract the broken stud from the aluminum term point before you start the heli coil install hole drilling process.
I’ve had a look at a few forums and it doesn’t seem possible to extract the existing stud. Most people seem to file it down to the top of the terminal and then drill it out.

I was hoping it was screwed in and could be unscrewed easily but that doesn’t seem to be the case :(

I’ve had a look at a few forums and it doesn’t seem possible to extract the existing stud. Most people seem to file it down to the top of the terminal and then drill it out.

I was hoping it was screwed in and could be unscrewed easily but that doesn’t seem to be the case :(
The stud most likely has a square or hex bottom that is captured in the round aluminum cap, which is welded to the terminal. I would not drill much deeper than the top of the terminal (flush with the top of the cell). I would clamp the cell in a vise with padded jaws to keep from marring the blue wrap (and possibly shorting the cell, depending on which terminal you are drilling). Keeping it absolutely still and aligned with the drill is key.

An alternative might be to create a split-ring clamp that will grab the outer edge of the terminal. A small socket head cap screw would then squeeze the ring and tighten the ring to the terminal.

this would be a warranty case...
not sure where you bought the cells, but the supplier should replace this one, as the stud was of inferior quality
Its not a warranty issue, it was user error, they didn't hear/feel the click on the torque wrench - read the posts after the initial post about the broken terminal. Looking at the damage on the busbar its clearly been overtightened.

They even said in another post, but I don't think they twigged that's how/why they snapped the terminal.

Now the bit that I really don’t get, and I’m sure someone may be able to explain. I tightened the end panel that compresses the batteries to 9nm. Got the click on the torque wrench so happy it’s tightened to the right level. Now when I go back to those with the wrench set on 4nm they aren’t clicking… surely they should click and not tighten even further. I would expect 9nm to be ‘tighter’ than 4nm but am I wrong?? Or is my new torque wrench faulty.

You’re absolutely right. I’ve just gone out to the garage again and I can hear the faintest click. It’s definitely user error :(

Anyway hopefully they got the issue resolved one way or another.

Back