diy solar

diy solar

custom made battery box for eve LF280K cells

Yeah, I currently use a switch on the positive for each battery bank, which enables me to do maintenance on any bank while keeping the inverters running. A breaker would need to be robust enough to handle inrush and current under load disconnects, so 60V 250amp. The current JASSN uses Nader NDM1-125 breakers, which are rated for AC or DC, but only 125 amps.
wouldnt it just be a matter of swapping those out for 225a dc 60v breakers ?
something like these should work :

no idea how thick that tinned copper is ;)
The ports need to be made larger also, as I typically use 1/0 cables on the batteries. I dont have a mm guage, but the bars look fairly substantial, a bit thicker than the cell bus bars.

Attachments

• 20220317_095254.jpg
    20220317_095254.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220317_095230.jpg
    20220317_095230.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220317_095244.jpg
    20220317_095244.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220317_095947.jpg
    20220317_095947.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220317_095348.jpg
    20220317_095348.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220317_095234.jpg
    20220317_095234.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 31
This is exactly how it works :) seplos said only 4 box can be stack one on a other unless you use a rack and have a stand for each of them. the original JASNN has a negative and positive bus bar and breaker for each battery. They changed it recently with one big breaker instead of individual breaker.

I need to talk to them about the rational of one big breaker vs individual breaker.
I asked Seplos about stacking the 280ah Mason boxes. They told me they could only be stacked 2 deep or they would deform and crush the lower cases.

I asked Seplos about stacking the 280ah Mason boxes. They told me they could only be stacked 2 deep or they would deform and crush the lower cases.
Hmmm, they told me they sell two bases for the 280ah mason, one with wheels and you can stack units three high, or another with feet that you can stack 4 units high.

Feels like it would be good to know this definitively, lol.

which is why i would use a server rack for these, so the are not pushing weight on eachother.
a "rackmount" kit wouldnt be to hard to make out of ange iron and the location of the rubberfeet would be the perfect place to secure then.

just the cells would be 88 kg ( 160 pounds roughly) and add 5 kg for the case, you've a pretty hefty package

just the cells would be 88 kg ( 160 pounds roughly) and add 5 kg for the case, you've a pretty hefty package
Case is actually 28kg according to my shipping manifest.

Also it does have internal structural supports, it seems quite sturdy.

1651085218110.png

Case is actually 28kg according to my shipping manifest.

Also it does have internal structural supports, it seems quite sturdy.

View attachment 92849
That does look quite sturdy. I was told 95 kilograms assembled (210 pounds). Was planning on welding up a small rack to hold them. Still waiting on shipping. Any issues with assembly?

which is why i would use a server rack for these, so the are not pushing weight on eachother.
a "rackmount" kit wouldnt be to hard to make out of ange iron and the location of the rubberfeet would be the perfect place to secure then.

Any thoughts on mixing 135ah and 280ah batteries in the same parallel strings? It seems Andy and Will both are doing it with no issue, but they are not communicating the BMS with the Inverters, or connecting BMS together for load balancing, as that seems to be a unique function of the Seplos BMS's.

I have four of the 6.9KW 135ah Masons, and three of the 14.2KW 280ah Masons. The first 280ah BMS will be RS485 connected, with six CANBUS BMS's behind it, all in parallel. They will be connected via the JASSN busbars. I will be enclosing those in a 72 inch rack with sides and doors, with welded L brackets to support the additional weight.

It will end up looking like a larger version of what Will Prouse just built for his server rack batteries. The Inverters will be two MPP LVX6048WP's, coupled with two SMA 6K grid tied inverters. PV will be two 600V strings to the SMA's, and 2 more 600V strings to the MPP's.

I will need to test interconectivity between SMA and MPP AC coupling, which should be interesting. Anyway, I am still waiting on the 280ah masons to show up. In the meantime, I will be playing with a Vtuvia 48V 17ah 1500W Bafang G510 mid drive full suspension ebike!

Any issues with assembly?
Not really? The assembly manual is a bit light on the details but with it, the video where the guy shows the assembly, and the parts list from the product page, it all made sense, lol

Any thoughts on mixing 135ah and 280ah batteries in the same parallel strings? It seems Andy and Will both are doing it with no issue, but they are not communicating the BMS with the Inverters, or connecting BMS together for load balancing, as that seems to be a unique function of the Seplos BMS's.

I have four of the 6.9KW 135ah Masons, and three of the 14.2KW 280ah Masons. The first 280ah BMS will be RS485 connected, with six CANBUS BMS's behind it, all in parallel. They will be connected via the JASSN busbars. I will be enclosing those in a 72 inch rack with sides and doors, with welded L brackets to support the additional weight.

It will end up looking like a larger version of what Will Prouse just built for his server rack batteries. The Inverters will be two MPP LVX6048WP's, coupled with two SMA 6K grid tied inverters. PV will be two 600V strings to the SMA's, and 2 more 600V strings to the MPP's.

I will need to test interconectivity between SMA and MPP AC coupling, which should be interesting. Anyway, I am still waiting on the 280ah masons to show up. In the meantime, I will be playing with a Vtuvia 48V 17ah 1500W Bafang G510 mid drive full suspension ebike!
Why use SMA and MPP? Why not just a single hybrid inverter (or 2) versus the 4 devices in the current plan? Is there an added functionality that particular device combo allows?

Are you saying they shipped by sea freight, and will then be sent to our homes from a USA warehouse? When were they available and in production? The extra cost for international air freight was substantial. Around $500 extra.
Sorry, I mixed 2 differents subjects. Any shipping. Information should be confirmed with the vendor.

havent looked at the jassn busbars so far, except for a glace.
however :
- intergrated space for inline breaker on each connect to battery and inverter be nice
- integrate place for shunt be nice

as we're slowly moving in to the 15k inverters it should be able to handle the load of 3 15k inverters
Building a bus bar system to handle 3 x 15k inverter is an other story, at an other cost level. Given current price for their 16 ports bus bar plus shipping its probably better to go with the midnite solar battery combiner box for your specific use case.

Since I'm paying for the design I will stick to 2 or 3 x 8k inverter. It would be over engineering and pricely to have to handle around 1000A. Better to have a separate product.;-)

The ports need to be made larger also, as I typically use 1/0 cables on the batteries. I dont have a mm guage, but the bars look fairly substantial, a bit thicker than the cell bus bars.
yep they are rated for 25mm cable only , need an update

ideally if you can find a used rack from NetAPP its perfect. better to use something like the picture in the appropriate size.

Attachments

• 71l0bCtmIwL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    71l0bCtmIwL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 9
Back