diy solar

diy solar

custom made battery box for eve LF280K cells

Hello everyone,

I have a company that is working on designing a custom 16s eve LP280K cell box that includes their own BMS 200A. I spent the money to have them do it. And hopefully some of you will be interested (and possibly share the initial cost ;-)) anyway, here is the initial design. The BMS screen will also be added.

it will be professional design, with flexible bus bar, fuse, bms, cell holder / insulation.

Just bring you your cells and you're done.

Any feed back ?

View attachment 79191
Can you share the drawings of the box. I think that the local machinist could make this box for a lot cheaper..

I don't think you can make it a lot cheaper. don't forget you need the battery terminal, bus barre , cells insulation ans protection, flexible bus bare, fuse , fuse holder, balance pcb, ... You can't beat chinese machinist. there is a similar box available, cost less, but if you add every additional items l listed, you end up spending the same or more.

Sorry drawing can't be shared,

see this thread for an alternative almost similar box https://diysolarforum.com/threads/seplos-can-bus-rs485-48v-200a-8s-16s-bms.20051/page-34#post-533947

Last edited:
It’s was 500 for each unit but with shipping it was $662 and adding cables its like $727 each.

If it was $500 each for everything including cables, I would probably do it.
Yea I would buy them for $500 each also… he’ll I can’t even get them to answer me for a price!!!

(Located in NC as well)

Are you guys following Off Grid's garage series on the Mason boxes? What do you think about the performance of the BMS

Are you guys following Off Grid's garage series on the Mason boxes? What do you think about the performance of the BMS
I dont follow that channel, I dont follow any channels that make their income from affiliate marketing because they are being paid to sell you specific products, so there's no integrity there, in my opinion. So far I'm happy with the performance of the BMS and the kit overall - for now!

i think once again , andy seems to be set out to make this bms look bad.
he is hellbound on the bluetooth app, which is a gimmic, used for a week
he used badly balanced cell last time to proof balancing cant keep up

what he fails to show , that when using proper cells, communication with the inverter, you dont need an active balancer.

used to like his channel a lot, but no so much as of late.

and yes, i do have real live experience with this bms

Given Seplos 280Ah box takes hours to assemble, I wonder how you guys do the top balance after assembly? Do you dismantle it all and do it all over? I am struggling with this and don't want to open close this box many times, I am sure someone here must have found better way to deal with this problem.

I don't want to do top balance on the bench outside of the box as cells will bloat and never be same again.

Given Seplos 280Ah box takes hours to assemble, I wonder how you guys do the top balance after assembly? Do you dismantle it all and do it all over? I am struggling with this and don't want to open close this box many times, I am sure someone here must have found better way to deal with this problem.

I don't want to do top balance on the bench outside of the box as cells will bloat and never be same again.
Just make a custom wiring harness/cables to connect the cells when they are installed in the case, for parallel charging?

do a cell by cell after doing a full charge while they are in series would be an option.

Just make a custom wiring harness/cables to connect the cells when they are installed in the case, for parallel charging?
I don't have that box, but that is what I did. My low voltage supply only makes about 20 Amps, so the 14 gauge wire was plenty. I charged them in parallel until the cell voltage was 3.62, then disconnected the charger and let them sit in parallel for a day.

PXL_20220914_135920901.MP.jpg

An active balancer enables top balancing of
a 16S pack insitu =Seplos BMS + JK Active Balance/ Neey Active Balancer/ Heltec Capacitor balancer $50-$150. The first two have Bluetooth Apps.

An active balancer enables top balancing of
a 16S pack insitu =Seplos BMS + JK Active Balance/ Neey Active Balancer/ Heltec Capacitor balancer $50-$150. The first two have Bluetooth Apps.
active balancer is completely unneeded here.
if OP does a good top balance, and has inverter comms, this is useless.
the only reason one would need an active balancer is when garbage cells are used

on that point :
a bluetooth apps in my eyes is a gimmic only used in the first few months after building your battery, or if you're a constant tinkerer/hobbist.
nect to that, those apps are notorious for calling home with gps location and all sorts of other information which has absolutely no bearing on it functionality

so all in all useless spending of funds..

the only reason one would need an active balancer is when garbage cells are used

on that point :
a bluetooth apps in my eyes is a gimmic only used in the first few months after building your battery, or if you're a constant tinkerer/hobbist.
nect to that, those apps are notorious for calling home with gps location and all sorts of other information which has absolutely no bearing on it functionality

All subjective comments. I do not agree with your opinion.

All subjective comments. I do not agree with your opinion.
well, it is a free country ( or world for that matter)
that being said..
been running this bms for a while now, voltage difference is 0.04 ..

and just to be very clear, have the rs485 verson hooked to my inverters

Last edited:

on that point :

Each to his own. I was offering a solution for top balancing to the question " how do you top balance after assembly". Also
life is not perfect. Cell quality is not perfect and an anticipated lifespan of 10+ years will produce variable degradation. Communication with inverter + passive balancing might cope, active balancing will cope and enables the system box to remain closed and reach maximum lifespan. Aren't we are all tinkerers here? Eyeballing cell voltages is so much easier via BT to nearby gear than hardwiring. Don't you see cell voltage numbers flashing across the screen as you fall asleep?

Last edited:
I'm just gonna use a cheap junk tablet with spoofed GPS location somewhere in Uzbekistan.

Hey @sergea , this really looks like a Seplos MASON diy kit, what's really missing in it is a internal fuses + the switch breaker itself, if you want to shut the battery down

Back