Cycle a 48v LFE with a 100w Incandescent 110v light bulb?

sshibly

Solar Addict
I bought one of those 48v LFE batteries with dead cells from BH,

I need to cycle the battery but I don't have any 48v inverter.

Could I use a regular 110v 100w table lamp with an old style incandescent bulb to discharge it?

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
I bought one of those 48v LFE batteries with dead cells from BH,

I need to cycle the battery but I don't have any 48v inverter.

Could I use a regular 110v 100w table lamp with an old style incandescent bulb to discharge it?

Yes. The lower voltage means they'll be less than rated wattage. Would expect a 100W bulb to pull about 50W @ 48V

400bird

Solar Addict
I think it would be more like 25 watts @ 48 v

Maybe I'm missing something, but if it's got dead cell(s) why are you trying to discharge it more?

sshibly

Solar Addict
I think it would be more like 25 watts @ 48 v

Maybe I'm missing something, but if it's got dead cell(s) why are you trying to discharge it more?
I charged the dead cells back up slowly to nominal and then charged the entire battery up a bit, BH suggests that we cycle these 3 to 4 times to get them going again.
Yes, the cells will have REDUCED capacity.

ok I will be need discharge them at around 5 amps, that will be around 200 watt plus.
put more bulbs in parallel?

400bird

Solar Addict
ok I will be need discharge them at around 5 amps, that will be around 200 watt plus.
put more bulbs in parallel?

That's a lot of wasted energy. It would work.
Do you have an inverter? I'd rather discharge the pack doing something useful, not as wasted heat and light.

sshibly

Solar Addict
That's a lot of wasted energy. It would work.
Do you have an inverter? I'd rather discharge the pack doing something useful, not as wasted heat and light.
Agree, I am a tree hugger, I acquired this 48v battery early in summer, I waited to do this now when it is 20F outside, so the heat/light will augment my heating and will not be wasted.
I use to use a fan but the tribe complained of the noise and the draw was too little.