diy solar

diy solar

Cyclone 4006 Off Grid Build Help

Eric_C.

Hello All,

I have been following WP for a few years and finally get to build my own system. Pretty hyped :) But I am not an electrical engineer or veteran diy'er, so I could use any and all help for this project.

My wife and I have a 2022 Cyclone 4006 toy hauler, and would like to take it to private off grid locations so we have a need for both 120v and 240v legs to occasionally support a well pump, mini split, small welder, etc. Not all at once, or even at one location. Weight is not an issue.

I am inclined to build the 'power wall' system by David Poz on youtube:
. Pic attached. The reason I like this is first, it is diy friendly, he explains everything in detail, two, I have the room, three, I can plug in to a 240v circuit.

Base components for solar:

48v Growatt 5kw ES Inverter and autotransformer https://www.signaturesolar.com/products/5kw-es-transformer-kit
(10) 440W 72Split-Cell Silver Mono Solar Panels
(4) SOK 100Ah 12V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Batteries configured 48v (option to upgrade to 8 if needed)

To integrate it into the RV, I am looking at removing the generator leg from the auto transfer switch PD52 (pic attached) and replacing it with the 120v 50a load leg from the power wall. I suppose I should put a manual disconnect/switch here to remove the solar when plugged into shore power. In his build, he has a plug receptacle to attach generator power to support charging the batteries, again I could probably add a manual disconnect/switch? Or is there an automatic switch for shore/gen/solar?

My thought is to use the solar 120v 50a circuit to take the place of the generator input, use the PD52 auto switch for when we plug into shore power, and manually switch to the generator only when the batteries need it.

I am hoping to keep the lead acid 12v system in place, which would have 2 battery systems, one DC and the solar for AC, and use all the 120v AC wiring as is.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, or critiques,
Eric

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    657.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 4
Is there room to install (10) 86"x40" panels, weighing 530 pounds on the roof of that thing?

Good question. I didn't want to create a wall of text on the op, but left out that detail. I am going to set them on the ground with a kickstand at each off grid location. Have a protective sleeve for each panel and protect them for transport. Plenty of room on the tow vehicle and garage of the toy hauler to store them. I can also reduce the number of panels if to cumbersome, not needed in the summer months, etc. As tech gets better, may mount new and/or better adhesive panels on the roof and switch these to a permanent house situation.

Weight is not an issue.
Cargo capacity =3100 pounds with generator prep (not generator ~200 pounds)
100 gallons of water 850 pounds
solar panel, inverter, transformer =550 pounds
2 people = 300 pounds
propane = 60 pounds
batteries = 100 pounds

weight capacity for your RV options (awnings, etc.), pots, pans, dishes, silverware, clothes, lawn chairs, BBQ, etc. etc. = 1000 pounds (good luck)

Thanks for your reply. If I am reading your post correctly you believe we need a lot more battery storage. What do you recommend?

Enough amp-hours to power your requirements for 3 days without sun.

Add up all uses of electric in watt-hours, divide by 48, then divide by 0.8 (as an efficiency factor)
Example:
3 rooftop air conditioners 1500 watts each operating 1/4 time (6 hours) = 1500 x 3 x 6 = 27,000 watt-hours
well pump 1000 watts operating 10 minutes/day = 160 watt-hours, but generally it takes quite a lot of current to start these
microwave 1000 watts at 1 hour per day = 1000 watt-hours
[(27000 + 160 + 1000) / 48 ] / .8 = 733 amp-hours of battery capacity>>>
Times 3 days without sun 2200 amp-hours

You have 100 amp-hours at 48 volts so that's 4800 watt-hours 'planned'.

Awesome! Thanks @mopat. I am still in the process of contacting heartland to get create an exact load calc for the items on the rv. No luck yet. This helps a lot.

Do you think the relay connection will work? Basically replacing the 50a 240v from shore power with the inverter and battery output at the same.

exact load
Take it to a weigh scale--only way to know for sure. Subtract your weight from 20,000; what do you have to work with??

I doubt Heartland would tell you or even knows how little cargo capacity is available with installed "options":

Full body paint, Yeti Package, removable edge woven flooring, three season garage wall, residential refrigerator, MORryde Pin Box, slide toppers, washer & dryer, generator (288 pounds & 50 gallons diesel fuel 350 pounds).

I think you'll find the 3100 pounds carrying capacity does not exist. Don't forget that black tank, when full, another 1000 pounds.
Forget the toy, my guess is you'll be way overweight.

Oh no, I forgot FOOD in post #5; eat light.

Do you think the relay connection will work?
Theoretically yes. I would speak with Progressive Dynamics tech support Phone: (269) 781-4241. It appears as though the transfer switch is mounted to a compartment floor. I don't think that's proper, ask them about that also:
1634062015716.png

The transfer switch is on the floor. Thanks for looking at that and the phone number. I misspoke earlier, I will add the solar to the generator leg and make the gas generator on a manual switch.

Regarding weight, I will be using scales to fine tune it. Basically we will be using it a bit different I guess. Water is available at our off grid sites, so the water tank will be minimal while we travel. The generator is gas, so that tank will be minimal as well while we travel, with some cans in the tow vehicle. The gas tanks are 30 and 50 gallons; I agree the fluids on this rv if full could approach 2000 lbs.

Back