diy solar

diy solar

Cylindrical cells 100AH

Ok, finally finished capacity testing all eight 55Ah cells. These are the green SAB60280 cells available from Battery Hookup. Charged at 15A/3.4V until the current dropped to almost nothing, discharged at 10A to 2.5V. Here's the performance summary:

59.57 Ah
60.45 Ah
60.80 Ah
60.87 Ah
61.06 Ah
61.35 Ah
61.39 Ah
61.76 Ah

Now on to making some useful things with these and the 100Ah cells that started this thread...
Can you tell me how much one of the 55ah cells weigh? I'm thinking of buying either these or the 100ah packs they have made out of their 32650 cells. Thanks

Thanks, they will be about the same as the 100ah packs.
I have placed an order for 12 100ah, they said the packaging have been improved thanks to your feedback, 652$, including shipping by train to Europe.
I will post the capacity test when they will arrive

Ok, finally finished capacity testing all eight 55Ah cells. These are the green SAB60280 cells available from Battery Hookup. Charged at 15A/3.4V until the current dropped to almost nothing, discharged at 10A to 2.5V. Here's the performance summary:

59.57 Ah
60.45 Ah
60.80 Ah
60.87 Ah
61.06 Ah
61.35 Ah
61.39 Ah
61.76 Ah

Now on to making some useful things with these and the 100Ah cells that started this thread...
I have bought 64 of these and tested 40 of them so far and they all put out over the 55 amp hour rating....I stopped the test once they hit 55 so don't have numbers but they were all good.

My 12 cells have arrived, the whole process has been very smooth, they have arrived in perfect conditions, well protected with multiple layers, although the cell would be better into more consistent bedding:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-24 at 20.00.36.jpeg

They include both holders and busbars, it is easy to build any configuration:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-24 at 20.02.09.jpeg

I have tested all the cells individually, charging at 10A and discharging at 20A, and the results are quite good, all 110-111Ah

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-24 at 20.00.36 (2).jpeg

They check every cell before delivering them:
photo5893346226135480473.jpg

Now I am just looking at how to best combine them into a 3p4s pack.
They have exceeded my expectations, soon I will order 96 for my next project, my home solar setup.

Last edited:
Just to comment, that my capacity has an error measuring 6% in excess, so the real capacity is about 103Ah

PS: I have edited the message after validating my capacity tester against a Victron shunt. I am starting to think that the cells sellers pay a fee to the producers of low-cost capacity testers to play in their favor

Last edited:
Due to some size constrictions (height) and considering that prismatic cells must be placed upside I am exploring other alternatives like this one:

Price is ok, weight is better than prismatic, refrigeration between cells is also better, and it looks like no compression is required.

Still, I have found no feedback here, and there are very few sellers with little feedback

Any of you have first-hand experience with them?
If I’d known about those before I build my 280Ah prismatic cells, I would have gone that route:

-aluminum threaded terminal on one end and what is presumably a plated copper threaded terminal on the other end

-no need for a pressure fixture

Of course, this is assuming you can find true grade A cells direct from the manufacturer (meaning they will likely cost more than this reseller store probably selling factory reject or old cells).

My 12 cells have arrived, the whole process has been very smooth, they have arrived in perfect conditions, well protected with multiple layers, although the cell would be better into more consistent bedding:

View attachment 77032

View attachment 77033

I have tested all the cells individually, charging at 10A and discharging at 20A, and the results are quite good, all 110-111Ah

View attachment 77034

View attachment 77035

They have exceeded my expectations, soon I will order 96 for my next project, my home solar setup.
thank you for sharing this and photos!

seems very flexible in building??

nice

Just to comment, that my capacity has an error measuring 3-4% the intensity in excess, so the real capacity is the one indicate into the delivery form around 106Ah
So far it sounds as though everyone who has capacity tested these cells has gotten what they paid for (which suggests they are true Grade A cells and that the vendor may actually be the manufacturer rather than a reseller).

Has everyone been purchasing these cells from the same place?

Are there any limits as to how large of a battery can be build with these cells?

Is there a maximum size that they offer the plastic holders?

The seller is the manufacturer, you only can buy from them, no resellers.
There is no limit in the size, the holders are for two cells, so you can build them in any size, they even send you the long screws to joint both sides, you can link new holders in every direction.
The terminals are M14 and M10 both very robust, no problem of torque.
As the diameter is not the same, they ask you for your configuration, because busbars are different for parallel or serial.
They are new, grade A, well matched. I am now combining them at random to test on packs, and they are well in balance.
IMG_20211225_015422.jpg

Last edited:
They are not the cheapest option in the marked, you pay 42$ per cell plus shipping.
I guess they are selling this cells to other manufacturer's, very, very few to retail.
I want to thank newbostonconst, he was the one buying and testing the first 4, without his report I never venture to buy my 12

Very nice build!

So overall you have been happy with how these cells have performed?

I you were building a new battery from scratch, would you choose the same cells?
Regarding performance, they are in the specifications, so it is what I expected.

With the same space limitations, I would do it again with that cells, but the price is a little bigger than prismatic ones, so for a home solution, I would do it with prismatic.
I don't know how realistic is the number of cycles, but prismatic offers 3000-3500, specifications for these ones is 1500, more than enough for an RV but not for a solar system.

View attachment 77032

View attachment 77033

View attachment 77034

View attachment 77035

They have exceeded my expectations, soon I will order 96 for my next project, my home solar set

Could you provide the alibaba link?

Thanks for the link.
Can you give us an update after 6 months with the cells?
Voltage sag? capacity?
They are performing well, I have only done 9 cycles, most of the days only 5% draining them in the night and refilling during the day, as it is a RV that we only use occasionally.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-13-07-15-57-457_com.jiabaida.bms.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-13-07-15-57-457_com.jiabaida.bms.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 4
Back