diy solar

diy solar

Dakota Lithium Dual Purpose LiFePO4 starter batteries?

Included is a free 12V 10 Amp (A) LiFePO4 compatible charger that charges at the recommended 14.4 Volts..

That's how.

So too good to be true? Anyone have any experience with Dakota Lithium?

"Charge via Alternator
Drop in replacement for lead acid and AGM starter batteries for vehicles and outboard motors. NOTE: THE DL+ 135Ah IS LIMITED TO AN ALTERNATOR CHARGING PROFILE OF 135 AMPS OR LESS."

The battery has a BMS that could open the charge path. Any alternator rotating at high speed with an interrupted charge circuit will destroy its diodes and control circuit units and may take out vehicle electrics.

Mike

Does anyone have any experience with Dakota Lithium Dual Purpose LiFePO4 starter batteries? How are they making these safe for standard vehicle alternators?

Thanks.
$1189? And 10A charging rate.

I think I would stick with AGM for that money, even if the AGM cost $350. With a lifespan of around 5 years for an AGM starting battery, it would be 15 years before the LFP battery would break even. If the AGM lasts more than 5 years, which many do, then the payback for LFP becomes much longer. Calendar aging of the LFP will have reduced capacity by that time also.

Considering the possibility of load dump on the alternator and possible diode damage, it's a no brainer to stick with AGM for starting purposes.

Makes sense. I was looking into this for a boat where I have limited room and didn't like having an AGM just for starting. But I'll probably keep my setup of a starting AGM to a DC-DC charging feeding a lifepo4 house bank.

Back