Daly 16S 250A smart BMS experience

tinkerman

New Member
This is my first post on this forum.

First, thanks for the bits of information on the Daly BMS, they were most helpful.

My system is comprised of 16, 280AH Liitokala 3.2V Lifepo4 cells, Daly 16S 250A Smart BMS and an Aims 6KVA 230VAC split phase inverter/charger. The system finally works, and I am very pleased.

The Daly was rather troublesome, but I did get it to work. I wired the sense leads, measured sequential voltages, checked the delta voltages on the connector, after confirming at least 3 times, I connected to the BMS. The BMS had the B- connected to the Battery, nothing connected to the P-. I used an Ohmmeter as instructed, and measure 345Kohms from B- to P-. The system would not turn on. Shorted from P- to B-, nothing, connected a 100ohm resistor from B+ to P-, trying to provide voltage at the P-, with limited current. Nothing. I then re-read, for about the 10th time, the instructions and noticed that the cell voltage variation could not be greater than 50mv. So, I tore the battery apart, balanced all 16 cells for 24 hours, with about 2mv max delta from cell to cell. Re-assembled the battery on the bench so I could see all the wires and confirm all the voltages on the connector. Did the usual double checks, connected 100ohm resistor to B+. Nothing.

One of the posts mentioned using the UART. This unit came with Bluetooth, RS232 UART, RS485 UART, and the NTC. I tried the RS485, nothing, Bluetooth, nothing. Finally tried the standard USB/RS232 UART with my laptop and much to my surprise it turned on. I could communicate with the software and see all the information that I needed. So, I tried a few different things trying to figure out what is required and what is not. I removed the voltage, disconnected the sense lead connector. When the sense connector is removed it goes into shut down, or so it seems. Nothing would activate it other than the UBS/RS-232 UART.

I tried without any battery voltage, and the UART will activate it. I tried without the (Win 10) software, laptop just powered up, and it worked. Once it is active, I can remove the UART, and plug in the Bluetooth and that all works perfectly. I then removed the BMS, re-assembled the battery, went through the same sequence (UART, but Win 10 not logged in), removed the UART and plugged in the Bluetooth and all is good.

I did try to work with DALY, that did not go so well, so thanks to all for the bits on information that got this running..
 

roadrunner

New Member
so what was the problem, i am still building or planning my backup system, but doing all paper work first, i have just ordered the batteries for now
 

tinkerman

New Member
so what was the problem, i am still building or planning my backup system, but doing all paper work first, i have just ordered the batteries for now
well that is a good question. The unit runs fine, just needs to use the RS232 UART for first use. After that everything is normal. Not sure if this is a normal process and just not documented, or a back up to auto start that does not seem to work.. Too many other posts indicating something similar, suspect that the product has a flaw and this a work around.
 
Top