diy solar

diy solar

Daly 16s bms question

Dforster67

I started another post in the general forum, but turned into a BMS specific question..

I have my Daly 16s smart 80A 48v all connected and have manually checked voltages on every sensor via the back of the plug, seems all good, starting at 3.32 going up 3.32 at a time up to 53.12.

I followed the steps in the instruction sheet and had all the sensors connected to the batteries and the B- to the total negative post before I connected the plug into the bms.

Now I am measuring the voltage at the P- and the B+ and it is only showing 49.1. Is this normal?

Also I have the bluetooth module connected and I have the app on my phone but it is not finding anything.

Do I have to just go ahead and connect it to my Inverter/charger and put a charge on it before the BT will turn on?

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks!

(I don't really like the spaghetti mess of wires in there, but there's not a good way to arrange them without cutting them. Wasn't sure if different lengths of wire would be ok or not for these sensors)

bms.jpg

well I might have found an answer. There is a really lame video showing some instructions and it seems you have to either begin with charging the battery, or have some separate activation device that plugs into the "light" port on the daly.

I just wasn't sure about the 49.1 vs 53v discrepancy on my b- p- cables. Should I just connect to the inverter and see if it comes on?

That's a nice build and until I ran it around the block a while, I wouldn't have permanently mounted the BMS either. You can extend those leads a foot or so, no problem.

I'd fire up the inverter and watch / wait and remeasure.

That's a nice build and until I ran it around the block a while, I wouldn't have permanently mounted the BMS either. You can extend those leads a foot or so, no problem.

I'd fire up the inverter and watch / wait and remeasure.
Oh it’s just laying there so far. I’m not sure how to permanent mount it. I’ll probably just use some command strips or something. The sensor cables aren’t long enough to mount on the outside of the box. Is that what you mean I could extend? Or the p- cable? That one was pre crimped and I’m just going to bolt my inverter negative cable to it. I wonder if heat will be a problem if it’s inside and covered up?? The pvc case does have some vent holes.

I’m wiring up the inverter cables now. I’ll post updates/ questions as I go.

Well I suspect the bms is definitely bad.
On top of the 49.1v reading at L-, when I turned on the battery breaker on my inverter the voltage (between b+ and L-) goes to zero. Or around -1.5v. But When i check the voltage between the pos and Neg post of the actual battery bank and it’s still unchanged at 53.2 with the inverter dc breaker on.
Also the inverter never sees a battery connected.
I have not tried to connect a battery straight to the inverter without the bms. And I’m kind of nervous about doing that.

This sounds very familiar, did someone else just go through this recently? A setting was off in the BMS selections?

Is this one of those "you have to wake it up with higher voltage" scenarios?

I wouldn't sweat it, someone will be along in a while to sort it. In the mean time, have a nice refreshing beverage and leave the worries behind.
Besides, I'm buyin :D

This sounds very familiar, did someone else just go through this recently? A setting was off in the BMS selections?

Is this one of those "you have to wake it up with higher voltage" scenarios?

I wouldn't sweat it, someone will be along in a while to sort it. In the mean time, have a nice refreshing beverage and leave the worries behind.
Besides, I'm buyin :D
Good plan! (On the beverage)

On waking it up, I don’t know how to force skybox to charge and I don’t know why the bms would go to zero upon being connected to the inverter. Something is happening in there to make the bms disconnect or whatever it’s doing. After flipping the inverter break back off the voltage on L- goes back to 49.1. Very strange to me. But this is all pretty new still.

miller time!

Back