diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS charging at vastly lower voltage, not showing charge status

foamy

I'm ready to toss my Daly BMS's in the trash... already have a JBD ordered... quick background:

14s ebike battery, 58.8V full charge 3.6V nominal

R16J-GF12 smart BMS; 14s 60A discharge 30A charge

Daly's tech pages show the BMS uses Sinowealth software & the 3-pin Monitor adapter; have not been able to get correct IC Name to use from Daly yet

They told me use PCMaster, which I had to order UART-USB cable for. PCMaster can read BMS params and status but not set anything or calibrate. Their own support page shows R16J models use Sinowealth BMS Tool...

Any of the IC Names that have the AFEReg page show correct params - SH39F005 & BMS_16 show exact same params and read everything successfully

CADC Gain came set at 370 and CADC Offset at 0. This seems to give relatively accurrate discharge readings but definitely off below 3A - fudged around to CADC Gain to 396 and we are accurate within 50mA - though changing the load current throws this off slightly... changing CADC Offset seemed to have no effect and when calibrating Zero Current it will randomly spit out a 6 or a 7 in the CADC Offset field.

When I try to charge the battery pack, I set to 58.8V & 2A - so 2A constant current up to 58.8V constant voltage. Easy enough. I top balanced my pack this way by each cell group at the appropriate voltage and it works as expected. Here's where it gets weird. My power supply now ignores constant current limit and is charging at lower voltages - sometimes ~14.4V, 14.5V, 17,5V, 24.3V - and around 4.4A. The BMS never shows charge status or current. Whether the CADC Offset is 0 or 6 or 7. I tried setting CADC gain as negative like I've read in other posts regarding these BMS's but this only results in the BMS not showing any discharge current either.

I can't believe I bought 5 of these at once without testing one first. Now I'm stuck with 5 paperweights. Daly was communicative but didn't seem knowledgeable about their own product... they were sure it would work with PCMaster... I'm not plugging this thing into a $2000 ebike motor/controlller and regardless I can't even charge them so I can't properly seal the pack up unless I want to cut it open every time I need to charge it. I feel scammed by them to be honest... but I see others have them working. This is a 14s BMS though and almost everybody here is working with 4s - I've been trying to hunt through the EV forums but can't seem to find even half as much info on these BMS's as I've stumbled across here... I just want to ride!

The only thing I can think of this this 'Low voltage charging' setting in the AFEReg tab - but I'm not sure. I'm not sure of anything anymore. I just can't wait for my JBD BMS to get here because I'm so over troubleshooting this junk. They have no problem sending me emails or WhatsApp messaging asking if I'm going to buy any more BMS from them but cannot deliver me a solution for the garbage the sold me the first time.

I ran the Chinese language Sinowealth tool through a translator and got more descriptive field names than the English language abbreviations, Low voltage charging in the System Configuration column
AFEReg_CN.translated.jpg

If anybody's got any insight into getting these things working I'm desperate for a solution. I will never buy another Daly BMS as long as I live!

I have built a few 14S Daly BMS packs.
I always use the bluetooth dongle with the phone app or the monitor they sell.
Charging to 58.8 is likely above the high voltage cutoff and will cause it to disconnect from your battery and your charger cannot reconize the battery voltage.
Then it should then read 0 amps charging.

Try charging to 57.4V.
Your battery will also last a lot more cycles.

How did your JBD work out?

Back