diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS cutting out randomly.

jbibler

Long post here, but need some help with my Daly 250amp BMS that’s randomly dropping output only when key is turned on.
This is being used in my Golf Cart & I tried to include all the details below.

Cart: 2015 EZGO RXV
Controller: Stock Curtis 235 amp with programming to 30 Mph
Cells: 105ah LiFePO4 from AliExpress
BMS: Daly 250amp Smart with Fan/Bluetooth from Amazon

Build of battery itself was straightforward. No issues. I top balanced all cells & configured BMS at desktop PC. I adjusted settings so BMS does not go to sleep & Bluetooth App all up to date & works great.

Everything appeared to be great… until… a couple days into use I hop in cart & turn key & nothing. I have zero volts output from BMS. The Bluetooth shows disconnected & nothing I do will turn it back on except unplugging the primary 16s balance plug and plugging it back in. Then it instantly shows full output, Bluetooth comes on & everything is fine. Once it’s up, the cart runs great. No issues with charge or discharge.

I’ve been troubleshooting this running the cart for the last 4 weeks. It does not happen every time, but has happened 6-8 times over 4 weeks. Only about once every 3-4 days and we drive the cart a few times every day usually. I got in the routine of opening the app & monitoring prior to turning the key on. 100% of the time the app is always working & the BMS is always on & showing full output voltage, SOC, etc.

In the random instances where it breaks it only does it 1-3 seconds after turning the key to the on position. Turn the key & the app just immediately disconnects & when I check voltage output from BMS with meter it’s at zero volts. It will stay like that indefinitely until I unplug the 16s cable and plug back in. Then everything is fine the rest of the day.

I’ve tried emailing Daly multiple times through Amazon as well as directly & no response yet. I’m currently running firmware version 31_220722_100T that came installed on the BMS. I’d like to upgrade the firmware if there is newer available, but I’m having a hard time finding that info online. Hardware version is BMS-GD230-309E.
If the BMS is faulty, which is my suspicion… I do still have a couple weeks left to return the item via Amazon. Has anyone experienced a scenario like this? Any ideas before I remove this? It left my wife & two young kids stranded a mile from the house & she won’t use it anymore for fear of getting stranded again.

If I return it, what brand should I replace with? I've seen quite a few folks recommend the JBD
Thanks!

Josh B.

318727755_10160218322104598_6318445848451961607_n.jpg

318596121_10160218322354598_8536009374312800284_n.jpg

318425234_10160218322139598_8386602982257322129_n.jpg

318435018_10160218322259598_4191179497833772835_n.jpg

318470604_10160218322199598_2971658043743993962_n.jpg

Nice install.

Sounds faulty to me. What's the surge current on that motor? 235A is only 11kW or about 15hp. I looked up the model and see it's rated for 11.5hp or 8.6kW (EDIT: that's the gas model, NVM). That's continuous output. The surge is likely 5X as high at launch.

It likely draws notably more than that. The other components are likely designed to handle the surge, but you might be pushing the BMS too hard. I don't have an explanation for the behavior, but it could be a symptom of repeated overloads.

As far as a replacement, I would want to know what the actual surge is. These high current applications more regularly use a BMS that monitors cell s and controls a separate high current contactor to disconnect the battery if there's a problem. Orion Jr comes to mind.

Nice install.

Sounds faulty to me. What's the surge current on that motor? 235A is only 11kW or about 15hp. I looked up the model and see it's rated for 11.5hp or 8.6kW (EDIT: that's the gas model, NVM). That's continuous output. The surge is likely 5X as high at launch.

It likely draws notably more than that. The other components are likely designed to handle the surge, but you might be pushing the BMS too hard. I don't have an explanation for the behavior, but it could be a symptom of repeated overloads.

As far as a replacement, I would want to know what the actual surge is. These high current applications more regularly use a BMS that monitors cell s and controls a separate high current contactor to disconnect the battery if there's a problem. Orion Jr comes to mind.

Thanks for the reply. The cutout isn't when I'm running the cart, not even pressing the gas pedal... just turning the key to the "on" position.
My SOC meter shows perfectly on the dash, when it cuts out the meter shuts completely off and zero output from the BMS. Once it's on, I can run the cart full throttle with zero issues. The max amperage i've recorded is around 210 amps at full throttle and only for a second or two, then it drops into the 150 range. Like I mentioned, once it's on and working I have zero issues at any speed.

Josh B.

Surge may not show on a gauge or in the app, and I'm not implying that it's shutting down due to over-current. I'm speculating that you may be repeatedly exceeding limits by small amounts, and the BMS is in the process of failing and exhibiting this strange behavior.

What is the 3600 sleep time in the top right corner of your laptop screen?

What is the 3600 sleep time in the top right corner of your laptop screen?
I meant to look into that. I got sidetracked on the 300A and 350A numbers.

Looks like someone determined 65535 is the magic "no sleepy" number.

I meant to look into that. I got sidetracked on the 300A and 350A numbers.

Looks like someone determined 65535 is the magic "no sleepy" number.

In regards to the overcurrent protect, I just manually set the value to 350A through the bluetooth app. I wasn't exactly sure if that value was for continuous or "peak". I had read from others that the max this motor/controller would pull could be 350 amps momentarily during a full throttle situation, however with my experience i have yet to see anything over 250 amps. I can try changing that value back to 250 amps if the consensus is that is the "continuous" value and it regardless it shouldn't have any negative effects on my system.

The 3600 sleep timer is the default I suppose. I did read about the 65535 value as well, so I will try changing that... but i've never had an issue with the BMS going to sleep and it has always connected to the bluetooth app and continued to show SOC on the gauge up until I turn the key on.

@sunshine_eggo from everything I have found the surge current on the motor should not exceed 300 amps even momentarily. Most of the threads I looked through said even 250 amps is about the top of the range even momentarily. I believe one guy did hit 293 amps for a second, but in my testing I have yet to see anything over 232 amps on the meter and that was only for a second at initial pedal to the metal from rest.

I found this thread and this guy is basically doing the same thing as me, although his garage is way cleaner and his build is much nicer! Super clean build. I've combed through hours of threads from this forum and others and it seems that the Daly product is just very unreliable. They are putting out so many devices, you could order 10 Daly BMS and 7 might be fine, but 3 will be flaky. I think I'm going to return the Daly and order the JBD BMS like the guy in this post.

Thanks again for your time & responses,
Josh B.

This comment was posted on another page in regards to my issue... I think this start-up sequence may be on the right track.
As I mentioned before, everything is on and working, full connection via BT app and SOC meter working until I turn the key.
When everything works properly you will hear a few clicks when you turn the key on... this is also where it fails when I have the issue. Going to do some research on the start-up sequence, but wanted to update the thread here for future reference.

"I believe the RXV has a start up sequence test, it is possible that the BMS is shutting off due to initial fwd/reverse load test; there is a short circuit detect setting on the BMS, try increasing it by 25% up to 100% see if that resolves the issue"

Josh B.

Just adding the info about the "Power-On Sequence" that EZGO RXV carts perform when the key is turned on.
I believe the very first test when the motor tries perform the 1/4 turn in both directions is when my BMS is failing.

Understanding the Power-up Sequence
The car will perform the following checks during the first second of initial key - on.
•Electric brake check – Controller tries to rotate the motor ¼ turn in both directions.
•Reverse alarm check – Controller sounds the alarm for 100ms.
•Charger inhibit check – Controller checks the charge receptacle for connection to the charger.
•Throttle switch check – Throttle switch must be open to pass the start up test.
•Throttle position sensor – Controller checks the TPS for 0% throttle.
•Throttle operation check – Controller checks the TPS for the correct open and closed range.
The car will not run if the controller detects a problem with any of the circuits above.

Josh B.

1. Set the Sleep timer to 65535 . This is important. Otherwise, the DALY will sleep if no current flows after 3600 seconds.

2. Ask betty.chen@dalybms.com for a new Firmware for your hardware Version. I have a new one 31_221130_10ST, but its only tested on this 16S Hardware: BMS-ST103-309E . This firmware version seems to be stable.

I am not sure if this works for your hardware! Be careful. A wrong version can make your BMS unusable. I attached the file anyway for people with the same hardware. It is always very hard to get new firmware at DALY.

Attachments

• DalyBmsApp_103_309(31_221130_10ST).zip
    76.3 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the reply. The cutout isn't when I'm running the cart, not even pressing the gas pedal... just turning the key to the "on" position.
My SOC meter shows perfectly on the dash, when it cuts out the meter shuts completely off and zero output from the BMS. Once it's on, I can run the cart full throttle with zero issues. The max amperage i've recorded is around 210 amps at full throttle and only for a second or two, then it drops into the 150 range. Like I mentioned, once it's on and working I have zero issues at any speed.

Josh B.
I have similar issues with mine (after 2 years of non stop usage). Even the slightest current (after a prolonged idle period) is shutting the BMS down. Glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Mine is a 4S 100A version. I even use the 15300 code to never go into sleep and it still shuts down with the slightest current draw. Must be faulty. Wondering if any of the settings on sinowealth software can make a difference. Must investigate further....

Last edited:
Long post here, but need some help with my Daly 250amp BMS that’s randomly dropping output only when key is turned on.
This is being used in my Golf Cart & I tried to include all the details below.

Cart: 2015 EZGO RXV
Controller: Stock Curtis 235 amp with programming to 30 Mph
Cells: 105ah LiFePO4 from AliExpress
BMS: Daly 250amp Smart with Fan/Bluetooth from Amazon

Build of battery itself was straightforward. No issues. I top balanced all cells & configured BMS at desktop PC. I adjusted settings so BMS does not go to sleep & Bluetooth App all up to date & works great.

Everything appeared to be great… until… a couple days into use I hop in cart & turn key & nothing. I have zero volts output from BMS. The Bluetooth shows disconnected & nothing I do will turn it back on except unplugging the primary 16s balance plug and plugging it back in. Then it instantly shows full output, Bluetooth comes on & everything is fine. Once it’s up, the cart runs great. No issues with charge or discharge.

I’ve been troubleshooting this running the cart for the last 4 weeks. It does not happen every time, but has happened 6-8 times over 4 weeks. Only about once every 3-4 days and we drive the cart a few times every day usually. I got in the routine of opening the app & monitoring prior to turning the key on. 100% of the time the app is always working & the BMS is always on & showing full output voltage, SOC, etc.

In the random instances where it breaks it only does it 1-3 seconds after turning the key to the on position. Turn the key & the app just immediately disconnects & when I check voltage output from BMS with meter it’s at zero volts. It will stay like that indefinitely until I unplug the 16s cable and plug back in. Then everything is fine the rest of the day.

I’ve tried emailing Daly multiple times through Amazon as well as directly & no response yet. I’m currently running firmware version 31_220722_100T that came installed on the BMS. I’d like to upgrade the firmware if there is newer available, but I’m having a hard time finding that info online. Hardware version is BMS-GD230-309E.
If the BMS is faulty, which is my suspicion… I do still have a couple weeks left to return the item via Amazon. Has anyone experienced a scenario like this? Any ideas before I remove this? It left my wife & two young kids stranded a mile from the house & she won’t use it anymore for fear of getting stranded again.

If I return it, what brand should I replace with? I've seen quite a few folks recommend the JBD
Thanks!

Josh B.

View attachment 123908

View attachment 123907

View attachment 123904

View attachment 123905

View attachment 123906
Experienced the same issuue on my small electric car.,Revai (Gwiz). Intermittently 250A daly bms shuts down when contactor coil is turned on via ignition key. Tried and tested many things, atlast decided to put a capacitor between contactor coil +ve and ground -ve.. (80v capacitor 10000uf), the problem was solved..It has been now six months..running the car daily...Never had the issue. just to make , once disconned the capacitor and within few turn on's I was able to recreate the issue. It seems that the daly bms is pretty sensitive to coil currents and the capacitor hack smooths it out some how.!!!

Back