diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS - how to handle it correctly

Henrik

Hi all!

I'm setting up a 24 v system and I use a Daly 8S 24V 80A bms. I finished top balancing yesterday and am currently waiting for a Victron shunt 500A to arrive. Short description of my setup from Battery minus side:

"Battery minus" to "battery on/off switch" to "Victron Shunt" to "BMS B-" to "inverter" (or negative connection point)

There is a lot of do's/don't's around BMS in order to not break them. In general I understand that the most important thing is to disconnect the bms connector (that holds the 9 cables) before disconnecting the BMS or doing other system related stuff.

I am trying to write my own instruction to put on the side of the battery bank/installation in case of instruction needed in the future (when I forgot everything I read last months on forums :) )

The things I worry about most is the handling of connecting/disconnecting inverters, connecting/disconneting shunt or adding fuzes to system (or perhaps replacing Daly BMS)

What do I need to think of when working with system, related to above handling? And also when activating system again?

I struggle most with the order of these functions/components:

* BMS connector to cells
* B-
* P-
* Battery on/off switch

Please comment what the safe order is to handle those 4 in the most accurate way.

I struggled a lot with avoiding any sparks from inverter going forward. I bought a 24v, 21W light bulb in order to handle the charging of capacitors when connecting to it. (easier than finding a normal resistor in my case)

Regards, Henrik

Answer:

If adding/withdrawing a load: remove BMS cell cable first, then re-attach
If adding/removing a charger or solar panel: remove BMS cell cable first, then re-attach

Regards, Henrik

Back