diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS + iCharger x8 = excessive?

porshuh

Hi all - I am waiting on my 16 * 3.2V 310Ah cells (for a 51.2v bank) to be delivered, so I'm doing some research in the meantime.

My main question is basically - how well does the Daly BMS work to actively top balance the cells when in use?

My plan was to initially (and maybe once or twice a year thereafter) break the battery pack down and top balance and capacity test 8s at a time using the iCharger...but if the Daly BMS actively balances (as in - does it use the sense wires to actively add extra charge to the low cells to get them to a same top SoC?), is using the iCharger at all considered excessive and unnecessary?

Side question - is the iCharger x8 supposed to come with the tiny long connector with all the sense wires? or is that a separate purchase?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have been using the Junsi iCharger i208B and it does not come with a sense cable but it does depend on the vendor to add value to the charger, I bought mine from ProgressiveRC and they throw in a board and cable which has sockets for 2X2S, 2X3S, 2X4S, 5S, 6S, 7S, & 8S it looks just like the ones that Chargery has on their website, Progressive sells both Junsi and Chargery. Bought several times from ProgressiveRC, good company, very knowledgeable in small scale lithium of many chemistries.....do keep in mind they are a model airplane shop so they will not know much about solar systems. The iCharger has been a very useful tool, far better than any others that i have used, it can piggyback on a BMS, It does 300 ma. passive balancing, discharging, capacity testing, etc...

I just ordered a Daly 48V 16S 200 amp BMS (200 amp discharge, 100 amp charge) from Dexter at current connected who is on the forum here and talked to him on the phone and he said it is very good at balancing and I shouldnt have to add another balancing unit.

I feel guilty resurrecting this thread, but just stumbled across it.

The Daly BMS does not "actively balance", rather it uses "passive balancing". This means that it bleeds power from the cells at higher voltages allowing the charger to push power into cells at lower state of charge. For top quality grade A+ cells like the EnerAmp batteries I sell, the passive balance current is enough to keep things in check for a long time. If you are using b-grade cells that aren't even remotely matched, with varying levels of self-discharge, then this could be insufficient. It totally depends on the batteries you are using to know if the balancing is good enough.

I feel guilty resurrecting this thread, but just stumbled across it.

The Daly BMS does not "actively balance", rather it uses "passive balancing". This means that it bleeds power from the cells at higher voltages allowing the charger to push power into cells at lower state of charge. For top quality grade A+ cells like the EnerAmp batteries I sell, the passive balance current is enough to keep things in check for a long time. If you are using b-grade cells that aren't even remotely matched, with varying levels of self-discharge, then this could be insufficient. It totally depends on the batteries you are using to know if the balancing is good enough.

Don't feel bad! I'm glad you replied!

I connect all 16 of my cells together in parallel for a couple days prior to connecting in series for my 48v system. I think the Daly will do the job, as they are (at least as of right now) extremely close in SoC as far as I can tell from charging and discharging cycles. So yeah - I agree that as long as the cells are very close in SoC....passive balancing will keep them happy....however if they aren't matched, or you have a weak cell...it's not enough differential to limp it back to health or otherwise balance it.

So far I'm very happy with my setup!

Back