diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS Intermittent Failure

JIMMY

Solar Journeyman
The 60a Daly BMS on my testing rig keeps shutting down at seemingly random times for no apparent reason.

It worked fine for 3 weeks now and then started playing up.

If I disconnect the black and re earth it fire back up for a minute / hour / day before shutting down again.

Voltage is mid range 13.1v in 4s configuration.
Draw is <10 amp
Nothing out of the ordinary.

I have checked continuity on all wiring.

Any tips before I ditch it?

Jimmy

200ah lifepo4 prismatic in 4S running through one of those battery monitors you reviewed. (Top find thanks!)

Powering a fridge with it at the moment.

I suspect it's losing negative connection somehow so I will redo all wiring one more time to be sure.

Jimmy

It turns out it was a loose connection on the BMS pin outs causing the issue.

I gave them a small bend to tighten it up the connection and working well again.

?

Jimmy

IMG_20191111_053157.jpg

The voltage drops to ~5v intermittently.

Battery voltage at 13.3v.

A quick short of the B- and B+ terminals on the BMS and it fires back up.

Jimmy

View attachment 1878

The voltage drops to ~5v intermittently.

Battery voltage at 13.3v.

A quick short of the B- and B+ terminals on the BMS and it fires back up.

Jimmy
Not to revive a dead thread, but I'm very curious if you came up with a solution?

I just got a 200A 24v 8s Daly smart BMS and having the same issue. It seems extremely randomly when it shuts off, and the length of the shut off seems very random too, it always eventually boots itself back up.

Not to revive a dead thread, but I'm very curious if you came up with a solution?

I just got a 200A 24v 8s Daly smart BMS and having the same issue. It seems extremely randomly when it shuts off, and the length of the shut off seems very random too, it always eventually boots itself back up.
I binned it in the end. I suspect it had a faulty / loose connection internally.

If yours is firing back up by itself it's likely hitting, or thinks it's hitting one of the safety cut offs.

Jimmy

I binned it in the end. I suspect it had a faulty / loose connection internally.

If yours is firing back up by itself it's likely hitting, or thinks it's hitting one of the safety cut offs.

Jimmy
Thank you for the quick response! If it’s a safety cutoff the only thing I can think off is the delta in one of the cells which I’ll fix today after balancing them! Hopefully that’s it and I don’t have a lemon ?

Back