diy solar

diy solar

Daly bms keeps shutting down

LanceBuilt

Owner Builder
A few months now with my first lifepo4 battery, 200ah 16s, daly 200a bms, off grid home system.
Problem is that the bms will disconnect at inappropriate times, like when mid soc and with a mild continuous discharge. When I reboot the bms through the buetooth app it shows zero fault alarm. System is never idle, always running a 6kw inverter which draws a good 150 or more watts at idle. I am considering purchasing an overkill bms and keeping the daly as a spare, but only if there is good reason to expect that this will fix the problem. Are there settings within the daly that I may have missed?

Mismatch between cell protection and total voltage protection.

balanced open start volt should be 3.40V
balanced open diff volt should be lower - .02

Nothing above accounts for the odd behavior.

Worth triple checking all connections. Ensure that all sense wires and crimps are good.

If you can't trace it to a connection issue, I would conclude the unit is malfunctioning.

I read on this forum somewhere to set the sleep time to 65535 to prevent it from sleeping. But isn't that sleep only for the bluetooth? not the battery shutoff protect?
Ok, seems to concur with:

That was the only thing that was noticed or unknown that i found in your settings.

Sorry. Maybe wonky?

Wow, lots of discussions found here:

Problem solved, actually multiple problems solved.

I also had a problem with surging while charging, and never able to charge at a very high rate. All of this was caused by a bad connection/s at the battery bussbars. The original hardware were 6mm bolts that were too long, I used washers to make up, don't do this, use studs and nuts.

The only way I figured out the problem was, I replaced the daly bms, assuming it was at fault. The new jbd bms app showed that the bms was cutting the charge ability constantly, like every second or two, causing the surging during charge. It also has a better graphic/bar graph for illustrating cell voltages. This led me to a particular cell's connection, and found the problem. The daly never indicated it was cutting the charge ability, nada, though it was obviously doing the same. Will keep the daly as a spare.
Once I replaced the bolts with studs, the battery started working like never before. Very pleased now with these lifepo4's a massive improvement over the old la's.

Back