diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS low temperature cut off recovery slow?

walter-

I did set my Daly 4S 250 smart BMS to not charge below 5°C (not sure if it as of this value it will not charge or below this value).
It was now 4°C and I turned on the heating in the camper van.
After 1 hour the battery showed 12°C. I plugged in the camper van in the AC power socket but the battery refused to start charing. The charger did take over the load (running heater and lights). So the battery was delivering 0 watts, the 20W from heater and lights came from the charger.
It was strange; the BMS showed the low temp cut off error but at the same time showed 12°C as the temperature.

I changed to low temp cut off temp to 3°C via the app and the battery started to charge immediately.

Anyone knows if there is a delay for the low temp charging protection?

In the past weeks it the temp cut off for charging worked correctly. But there was a bigger delay always between the low temp and charging again at higher temp (like several days).

You need to t'stat control your heating pad so your battery never reaches the cutoff. The bms should be the fail-safe if your heater goes bad. You get 45lbs of battery cold it's going to take awhile to warm it back up with a 20watt heater.

That is indeed good advice. Even when the sensor indicates high enough temp, it might be the batteries inside are not warm enough.
But not answering my question ;-). Is there some sort of delay when temp is again high enough in the BMS?

Note; my van parcs outside, also in the winter. I will not keep the battery heated during the winter. But in this part of Europe it doesn't get often too cold, so I see the risk acceptable to just depend on the BMS for this protection. It would be good though if the chargers also have this protection build in.

Back