diy solar

diy solar

Daly Bms Question.

ChuckNorris

Real simple question. If using a 16s daly bms. When everything is hooked up properely. Does disconnecting the 1rst cell negative disable the bms. So i could then safely remove the 16 balance leads. Does disconnecting the 1rst cell negative break the circuit and protect the bms for further balance lead removal.
Normally you of course just remove the 17 pin connector and that disabled the bms. But i want to mount it in a way i won't have access to the 17 pin connector until after i disconnect the negative lead first. Then the 16 balance leads. Bc as far as i understand. If i just start removing the red positive balance leads 1 by 1 while it's on. It will damage the bms. So my thinking is that by disconnecting the negative and breaking the circuit it then makes it safe to unwire the cells. Anybody know the exact things that damage bms's?

Daly BMS the old dumb type under 100A are "rock solid".
The newer models and smart ones aren't strong and die quickly, Many times without known reason.

No.
While you do turn of the BMS, you don't cut all the power.
Between the 16 positive, there are 15 negative.
They will give difference, where the lower + will act as - for the higher.

If that makes sense.
You do in fact connect the - with the + making series.
That doesn't magically makes the - disappear.

I didn't know about this.
Untill I had an active balancer that I installed and only the positive leads...
The damn thing started to light up and work.... (???)
Only + connection....

With this knowledge I can tell you that just taking out the negative lead will not just stop the BMS, it can damage it.

Other questions is:
Why would you want to turn it off??

Back