diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS, RS485 connection to a Growatt inverter

Trediguy

Dear forum members,

Is it possible to connect a Daly BMS to a growatt inverter through an RS485 cable? if yes, can anyone provide an insight on how to do it ?

I have 16s 280A lifepo4 monitored and managed by a 150A Daly BMS. The batteries are connected to a 5000TL HVM growatt inverter.

Thank you and have a good day

I do not know, but what would be the point? Both devices give that port to allow monitoring externally, right? So, connecting them together does what? I would think it would send statistics towards each other.
help me understand what you hope this would accomplish. I’m curious.

Dear forum members,

Is it possible to connect a Daly BMS to a growatt inverter through an RS485 cable? if yes, can anyone provide an insight on how to do it ?

I have 16s 280A lifepo4 monitored and managed by a 150A Daly BMS. The batteries are connected to a 5000TL HVM growatt inverter.

Thank you and have a good day
Is this what you have?

I'm looking at this one but am unsure of the actual use of it, the hardware part seems straightforward but the actual use of it. Is it only blue tooth or how is is actually used?

Thanks

I do not know, but what would be the point? Both devices give that port to allow monitoring externally, right? So, connecting them together does what? I would think it would send statistics towards each other.
help me understand what you hope this would accomplish. I’m curious.

So basically the main goal is to enable the inverter (growatt) to better understand the status of each cell by using data generated from the BMS. This way, float\bulk charging and low\high voltage cut off will be more accurate; as well as allocation of charge between the grid and solar will be more streamlined.

For example, one of the issues that I'm currently having is:
After the battery being under load for about two hours, the inverter doesn't recognize that the battery needs charging, I will then have to disconnect and reconnect the battery (by switching off the circuit breaker) for the inverter to start charging again.

having the BMS and the inverter connected will allow for that automated coordination between the two.

I hope this explains it better.

Thanks

Is this what you have?

I'm looking at this one but am unsure of the actual use of it, the hardware part seems straightforward but the actual use of it. Is it only blue tooth or how is is actually used?

Thanks

Yes this is what I have but mine is 48v, 16s. In addition to monitoring each cell, the BMS also does charging management and protect the pack in case of one cell fail or over charge.

Thanks, is there a screen on it or are they basically just plug and play?
I'm not worried about the wiring, that part seems simple, I've just seen some with their own little screens, some that hook to a computer and some that are blutooth.

Hi there. Did you found how to connect it? I have same issue. A Growatt SPF5000ES and a 16S 200A Daly BMS with CAN/RS485 communication port. I have this picture about wiring, but not sure for more.
Regards.
Screenshot_20210831_143230_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Hi there. Did you found how to connect it? I have same issue. A Growatt SPF5000ES and a 16S 200A Daly BMS with CAN/RS485 communication port. I have this picture about wiring, but not sure for more.
Regards.
View attachment 62364
I am looking at building a DIY 48V pack and using a Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM. It's manual has a section on this that looks the same. I'd also like to find a BMS that can communicate with the inverter before I pull the trigger. According to the watts247.com description:

"NOTE: These units do support the Growatt Batteries with Growatt BMS (these will be available later on in the year), for now, choose battery type “USR” or USER, and enter in your battery suppliers (Bulk, Float, Low Voltage Cutoff, and Charging Amps) – Your BMS will NOT communicate with the inverter."

That being, it looks like the Daly can use RS485. Have you tried connecting the two? Here is a painful video on Daly showing how to connect to a PC that could be of some use.

There's a guy here that got it talking to his Pylontech batteries using RS485. The thread mentions you might need a couple firmware updates: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/5164...s-bms-comms-guide/?tab=comments#comment-69448

Got some more info on this chatting with Growatt support. This isn't going to work directly since they don't support the Daly protocol. They sent me a list of supported batteries. There is another thread here discussing using a Raspberry Pi to emulate the Pylontech battery protocol that the Growatt supports. I haven't seen anyone actually implement a working solution with it yet.

Yeah I tried that raspberry pie option. Checked the can is sending out the right stuff, connected to bms port and set to option L52. No joy for me. Don’t suppose anyone has the rs-422 pylontech protocol?

Also found these protocol docs.

Attachments

• PYLON LFP Battery communication protocol - RS485 V2.8 20161216.pdf
    226.6 KB · Views: 174
  • CAN-Bus-protocol-PYLON-low-voltage-V1.2-20180408.pdf
    250.4 KB · Views: 147
Also found these protocol docs.
Those are useful!. I'm not sure though how the Growatt talks via RS-485. Whether it requests information from the pylontech or the pylontech just spits out out once a second similar to the CAN protocol. I think I'm going to have to have to some packet sniffing on the growatt to see for example if it's asking for charge/discharge information. It would be awsome if I could mess around with it without having the invertor fault but hey...

Here are two more things that may be of use. The first is from watts247 (where I ordered my inverter) and is apparently the Growatt Protocol document. The second is from Growatt and is a list of compatible batteries.

Attachments

• 1_1xSxxP_ESS_protocol_rev _23_20171128.pdf
    245.1 KB · Views: 216
  • The list of compatibility between battery and Growatt Off-grid Inverter 2021.05 V1.9 (1) (1).pdf
    62.1 KB · Views: 247
Still very confusing.

The inverter has com with a PC thru RJ45 to usb.
The BMS has com with PC thru UART to usb cable.
So the computer knows everything. Why do we need to connect inverter to BMS?

Still very confusing.

because it controls charging more efficiently and can shut down charging or discharging and not force the BMS to shut down a high amp load and possibly damage something

Still very confusing.

The inverters can be glitchie if they aren't communicating with the BMS. I have a few of the Growatt inverters with DIY battery packs and no BMS communication and they are constantly using my batteries during the day when they aren't supposed to. A BMS that was communicating with the inverter would solve this issue. One of these paydays...

Back