diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS UART

mmal231294

Hi Guys
I have a 4s 200amp Daly Smart BMS.....that isn't as smart as I was led to believe. After trying with no success to make changes to parameters, the buyer advised me I had bought an earlier version where the bluetooth app works for viewing, but is not able to alter parameters. It has a 3 pin UART connection on the side. Has anyone here fabricated a UART to USB connection? I see items like this one on Amazon that look like they could be made to work, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B416CPK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AFLYC5O31PGVX&psc=1
Anyone been there and done this?
Matt

I once made one, when I bought a Compressed Natural Gas multiport system to convert my truck over to bi-fuel around 15 years ago, and it needed a UART to connect the laptop and program it. It was simple hookup.

I had used one that looked just like this:

It seems to me (going off memory here) like you only need VCC if you're doing RS-232, but for UART you only need 3-wire.

1605564951322.png

This was the style I had on my CNG install back then (just a 3-wire):

1605565461523.png

Yeah, I think 4-wire is only for RS-232, but UART is 3-wire without VCC.

1605564964051.png

Last edited:
Yeah, on my cable it only had 4 wires and I only used 3 of them for UART, but looking at this cable you linked to, it looks like you'd only use Pin 1 (Gnd), Pin 4 (Tx), and Pin 5 (Rx)

1605570441234.png

It's because these cables usually support multiple protocols, including UART, so you just use the pins you need and it negotiates the connection when it sees the recognized bits on the wire.

Hello

My Daly 4S 200Amps smart bms arrived today.
The touch screen that i ordered in the english version came in the chinese version. Even if there is the possibility to change the parameters, the bms doesnˋt copy this and after the change of the page the old parameters are again valid.

Only the UART connection via sinowealth software changed parameters permanent. Also on the little touch screen.

Hello

My Daly 4S 200Amps smart bms arrived today.
The touch screen that i ordered in the english version came in the chinese version. Even if there is the possibility to change the parameters, the bms doesnˋt copy this and after the change of the page the old parameters are again valid.

Only the UART connection via sinowealth software changed parameters permanent. Also on the little touch screen.
Hi. Where did you source the UART cable?

Hi. Where did you source the UART cable?
Hello

The UART cable came with the bms from Daly. It seems that it is not just a cable rather a type of circuit in the USB plug. So it is not possible to connect the bms with another USB wire from the drawer that is left from another device. You have to order it from daly, wich is a problem because they sell it only in combination with a BMS.

Thomas

If you accedently ordered without, I'm sure the people at Daly are willing to send new one.
You should be able to get replacement parts...
(dalyelec.com)

Hey y'all. I just got this one with my cells... is this the one you're talking about? & Does anyone know if the Bluetooth is supposed to go in the 6-pin port that says UART? Or the other 6 pin port on top next to the 3-pin 'monitor' port? My phone doesn't seem to be picking up any BT signal from it...
20210130_152747.jpg

Depending on your version.

Mine uses the UART port, and does need the "light board" connect turn the BMS on ..

That might be an issue also..
Not being turned on.... :)

Hi guys, who are you buying your Daly’s through and is the only difference between the ”Smart” and I guess “dumb” versions the ability to change the charge profiles?

I know Will said in a test video that he prefers the dumb version because people here have reported problems with the “smart” version.

Hi @InMyImage , welcome to the forum.

Usually I don't respond to "hijacking" and advice the person to open own thread..
As you are new, I understand it's easy question to place like this.

Daly +100A line is not the same quality (and probably production facility) as the ones under 100A.
That goes for both dumb and smart.

Smart they don't produce, perhaps had a hand in the development, there are 4 different hardware variations known within 9 months of sales.

Sure they start to optical look better, but quality wise...
Not yet.

More stable are the ANT and Chargery BMS. The "new" QUCC looks good, if you need 48v

So, under 100A, sure.
Daly still makes "set and forget"
Above 100A? Forget about Daly '-)

Hi @InMyImage , welcome to the forum.

Usually I don't respond to "hijacking" and advice the person to open own thread..
As you are new, I understand it's easy question to place like this.

Daly +100A line is not the same quality (and probably production facility) as the ones under 100A.
That goes for both dumb and smart.

Smart they don't produce, perhaps had a hand in the development, there are 4 different hardware variations known within 9 months of sales.

Sure they start to optical look better, but quality wise...
Not yet.

More stable are the ANT and Chargery BMS. The "new" QUCC looks good, if you need 48v

So, under 100A, sure.
Daly still makes "set and forget"
Above 100A? Forget about Daly '-)
That is correct, the Daly is not for larger systems, 100A sounds about right for the high side. I was suspicious about the main line cables. I looked at them recently when upgrading to 1000Ah of LiFePO4 and installed a Batrium BMS. Using shunt trip breakers for emergency high and low voltage triggers.

Batrium is like Rolls-Royce...
Top of the top, with matching pricetag. (For my setup, 1016@51.2v, around $1000,-)
DIYBMS (openenergy forum link) (work with OE-monitor) have about the same functionality, for a fraction of the price. ($150)
But you do need to upload firmware and solder components.
I like that DYIBMS have WiFi!
(On GitHub)

Last edited:
Batrium is like Rolls-Royce...
Top of the top, with matching pricetag. (For my setup, 1016@51.2v, around $1000,-)
DIYBMS (openenergy forum link) (work with OE-monitor) have about the same functionality, for a fraction of the price. ($150)
But you do need to upload firmware and solder components.
I like that DYIBMS have WiFi!
(On GitHub)
Nice, I was not aware of this setup. Looks pretty decent. I would go that route before the Daly. I have been a DIY guy my entire life but as we are getting up there the thrill is not the same as it was. Although we did consider other more affordable options and decided if we are spending boo koo bucks on batteries we should get the best system we can find. In comparison to the cost of the system which should last 10-20 years the $1000 was not too bad.

Back