diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS Will Not Balance

Thats where my pack was hanging after I adjusted settings last week when you first gave me advice.
So hanging is settled voltage?
You need to find the charging numbers first that are just below where the cells diverge.
I have no idea where you are here. We talked about 3.45Vpc (55.2V). Then you mentioned that your cells diverged:
to a not great balance of .150,
This means that the charge voltage needs to be dialed back a little to just before the cells diverge.

This means that the charge voltage needs to be dialed back a little to just before the cells diverge.
Ok I got that, so then am I not getting the full potential of my pack since they cant seem to hold a balance after 54v or so? What's the remedy for this if there is one or just have it be at a slightly lower voltage than others I see here?

What's the remedy for this if there is one or just have it be at a slightly lower voltage than others I see here?
The remedy is you charge as close to 3.45Vpc before they diverge. You are not alone on this by any means.
54V = 3.375Vpc

Mine settle to 3.35Vpc and i consider that 100% charged.

Set your charge to the voltage BEFORE they diverge and give it a go for a week.

Ok I got that, so then am I not getting the full potential of my pack since they cant seem to hold a balance after 54v or so? What's the remedy for this if there is one or just have it be at a slightly lower voltage than others I see here?

Did you get this resolved? Did OP?

I've been going thru the same thing with my new 4S pack - at full charge voltages, anything over about 3.45V per cell I had a run-away cell or two that would trip the over-volt on the BMS. I did a $-ton of searching, even found this thread.

I fixed it by bleeding current off the high cells with a resistive load - a automotive light bulb - that would take the top cells down to match the others. Most of the time the upper one was in balancing mode on the BMS, the extra load just made it work faster. And with a limited current as the cells reach peak charge, lowering the top one pushes the lower ones up. Fun to watch on the BMS app, especially when the delta reaches zero!

Now I can get full 3.6V charge on all my cells without tripping BMS over-volt.

Another way is to apply a top charge to the lower cell terminals to bring them up to match the rest of the pack.

If your bank doesn't maintain it's balance then there's likely a variance in resistance or capacity between the cells within your pack/bank.

I've been adjusting charge settings for ideal performance exactly they way sandals has been saying. If your cells can be balanced and stay balanced, you can utilize the higher charge voltage and resultant current, and full capacity of your bank.

I just hope they stay balanced over many cycles!

Did you get this resolved? Did OP?

I've been going thru the same thing with my new 4S pack - at full charge voltages, anything over about 3.45V per cell I had a run-away cell or two that would trip the over-volt on the BMS. I did a $-ton of searching, even found this thread.

I fixed it by bleeding current off the high cells with a resistive load - a automotive light bulb - that would take the top cells down to match the others. Most of the time the upper one was in balancing mode on the BMS, the extra load just made it work faster. And with a limited current as the cells reach peak charge, lowering the top one pushes the lower ones up. Fun to watch on the BMS app, especially when the delta reaches zero!

Now I can get full 3.6V charge on all my cells without tripping BMS over-volt.

Another way is to apply a top charge to the lower cell terminals to bring them up to match the rest of the pack.

If your bank doesn't maintain it's balance then there's likely a variance in resistance or capacity between the cells within your pack/bank.

I've been adjusting charge settings for ideal performance exactly they way sandals has been saying. If your cells can be balanced and stay balanced, you can utilize the higher charge voltage and resultant current, and full capacity of your bank.

I just hope they stay balanced over many cycles!
I did and basically attribute it to the balancer. I also had to actually top balance my cells. I thought they were but weren't.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-074249_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220127-074249_Gallery.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 18
Back