diy solar

diy solar

Daly (mgod) 250A bms issue.

foto40

Hello ,
I've transformed 4x 280ah eve cells and 250A active bms from Mgod(looks the same as Daly) into one pack. I connected everything properly and turned it on. I could connect with the bluetooth app and change some settings.
Then I decided to test it and connect the inverter. I turned off discharge in app and took off lead cables from daly. After disconnecting the leads I reconnected one positive wire to so it had better contact. After this i put the leads into bms and boom. It stopped working. I had to discharge the cells bypassing the bms to 13.5V then I activated BMS by charging through it. It started working but now I can't connect through the app and change anything. Does disconnecting the lead mean factory reset? Any chance to activate BT ? I also have Uart cable but couldn't find working software for pc.

After 30mins of constant fight it's alive. So disconnecting lead doesn't do factory reset bms. Now there is a question. How to safely maintain the battery? Should I just disconnect the leads then main negative B- ? Or should I disconnect only leads ?

Last edited:
I don't understand the trouble with correct " disconnecting and connecting" an BMS.

First remove the burden (B- and B+ if it is in an Camper or Car)

In every Case: Connecting is: first B- and then the sensing wires. (The best way is to set in the sensing connector slightly diagonally
so that the cell near B- has the first contact to the pins.

Disconnecting is: !first the sensing Wires and then the B-!

If you do this in the wrong way you can eighter: 1. if you have luck, incorrect cellvoltage reading (if only the sensing wires are connected)
2. if you don't have luck, you fry the cell monitoring IC if not more components of the BMS.

"After disconnecting the leads I reconnected one positive wire to so it had better contact."
Do you meant the negative lead? ( B-?)

PC- Software #http://yunbms.cn/resources/download/BMSToolV0.2.zip Please consider to virus check this, I get the link from Aliexpress were I buy an Daly BMS. (not tested yet!)

My understanding is that completely remove the power source of an BMS (I tested an ANT BMS) is that everything like password and some Values are deleted. (not all values are deleted)

For maintaining, there is nothing to do unless you want to change any cell to an new. In this case you should do as I wrote first for "disconnecting"

This all is no rocket science if you know more about what is inside an BMS.

EDIT: This answer is for any other person, who find this over google. I know that the first post was back for 1 year.

PC- Software #http://yunbms.cn/resources/download/BMSToolV0.2.zip Please consider to virus check this, I get the link from Aliexpress were I buy an Daly BMS. (not tested yet!)
That's the wrong software, because member foto40 has a 4S "12v" battery pack. BMSTool doesn't work on 4S/5S battery packs. He needs to use Sinoweath Software instead, and one of our members (from whom I bought my 4S 200A Daly BMS) has a great page for installing and using it to monitor the BMS, or change parameters: https://www.currentconnected.com/le...aly-bms/daly-bms-sinowealth-software-install/

Our relevant 'resource' for activating a 4S Daly BMS is: https://diysolarforum.com/resources...to-attach-daly-smart-bms-to-4s-batteries.180/

After it is wakened, the UART-BT connector should work fine with the cellphone App (although the cellphone App doesn't let you change all of the parameters, including the minimum current amount to display via the App. You probably want to lower that current amount in Sinoweath, making the App more useful in displaying smaller current amounts).

Disconnecting the balance leads header will shut the BMS down, because the "common port" Daly Smart BMS models obtain power through those balancing leads.

"B-", once connected to the battery pack, never needs to be disconnected. For a completely "cold" startup, you should instead disconnect the black "P-" from the load "-" bus. ("B-" should be connected before "P-").

Last edited:
That's the wrong software, because member foto40 has a 4S "12v" battery pack. BMSTool doesn't work on 4S/5S battery packs. He needs to use Sinoweath Software instead, and one of our members (from whom I bought my 4S 200A Daly BMS) has a great page for installing and using it to monitor the BMS, or change parameters: https://www.currentconnected.com/le...aly-bms/daly-bms-sinowealth-software-install/

Our relevant 'resource' for activating a 4S Daly BMS is: https://diysolarforum.com/resources...to-attach-daly-smart-bms-to-4s-batteries.180/

After it is wakened, the UART-BT connector should work fine with the cellphone App (although the cellphone App doesn't let you change all of the parameters, including the minimum current amount to display via the App. You probably want to lower that current amount in Sinoweath, making the App more useful in displaying smaller current amounts).

Disconnecting the balance leads header will shut the BMS down, because the "common port" Daly Smart BMS models obtain power through those balancing leads.

"B-", once connected to the battery pack, never needs to be disconnected. For a completely "cold" startup, you should instead disconnect the black "P-" from the load "-" bus. ("B-" should be connected before "P-").
Are you sure this is the wrong software? If I open the zip File the BMS Tool is named "Sinowealth BMS Tool".
I can't test because I only work with 16S BMS Versions. And till now I had not the time to connect the BMS to the cells.

"Disconnecting the balance leads header will shut the BMS down, because the "common port" Daly Smart BMS models obtain power through those balancing leads."

""B-", once connected to the battery pack, never needs to be disconnected.

This is right, if you only want to reset the BMS this is enough.

If you also want to remove cells, it should disconnected completly.
In this case never remove the B- first, also it is much more dangerous for the BMS if you do not open the MOS-FET switch first and let the burden connected. In this case the nearly full battery voltage can flow over the burden over the Mosfets back to the B- wire over the internal monitoring IC to the cells. This will result in magic smoke.

Attachments

• sinowealth BMS Tool.png
    sinowealth BMS Tool.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 7
Hello ,
I've transformed 4x 280ah eve cells and 250A active bms from Mgod(looks the same as Daly) into one pack. I connected everything properly and turned it on. I could connect with the bluetooth app and change some settings.
Then I decided to test it and connect the inverter. I turned off discharge in app and took off lead cables from daly. After disconnecting the leads I reconnected one positive wire to so it had better contact. After this i put the leads into bms and boom. It stopped working. I had to discharge the cells bypassing the bms to 13.5V then I activated BMS by charging through it. It started working but now I can't connect through the app and change anything. Does disconnecting the lead mean factory reset? Any chance to activate BT ? I also have Uart cable but couldn't find working software for pc.

Bluetooth is a common problem.

You can check the resources section of the forum, lots of Daly goodies there (like the software you are searching for).

Keep in mind when you turn discharge 'off' you get an extra diode voltage drop in charge voltage to battery. On a 12v LFP battery this is a significant drop in float and absorb voltage to battery.

The BMS should temporarily override your discharge 'off' setting if charging current is too great to prevent BMS overheating from the extra diode voltage drop.

Back