diy solar

diy solar

daly smart BMS balancing is a mystery novel, has anyone solved this?

Diysolar123

Solar Addict
I have the daly smart bms 8s, 100amp plugged into the computer and the program is showing me what is going on(or so I thought).
I was charging the 8S pack at 18amps, cell high voltage set to 3.6, low set to 3.0, balance set to start at 3.5v...all seems well.
So I leave it for an hour, come back and look, and what do I see?
the data monitoring screen happily shows cell #3 at 3.7 volts in red and it is listed as an alarm, (the rest of the cells are at 3.4), scarily, the pack is STILL charging at 18amps?
I thought the daly bms would disconnect if any cell exceeds the cell high voltage?
what is the "logic" around cell balancing with the daly smart series?
i would have expected the bms to disconnect the charge current and then drain the high cell (even if it is only draining at 30ish ma's). If it keeps the charge current going (in my case 18amps) AND is trying to manage the overvoltage of cell #3 by draining 30ma, well, thats not going to work!

I set the pack max voltage down to 28.0 and set my power supply right at 28 as well to see what it does with an input overvoltage.
The daly would constantly connect and disconnect, there appears to be no hysterisis sadly as the voltage fluttered around 28.
At least the pack high voltage caused a disconnect but the cell over-voltage, well, seems more forgiving.
For those that have experience with the pc software application, are there any other critical settings that are needed so the bms really does protect the cells?
Is there some mode where the bms is sending data out the serial port but not actually doing anything when alarms happen (other than the pc software showing the cell in red)?
Thanks for any help

(I have an overkill solar smart bms just to see how that stacks up! but it is 50% more money so it would be nice if the daly smart bms actually worked)

Just guessing.

Do you have a setting with "protect" in the description? Some have two stages. One that is an "alarm" or "warning" and a second that is the actual cut-off.

There's also a tolerance on those values. "Canned" BMS that aren't adjustable are usually set to 3.75±0.05V, and there may be a time factor associated with it.

Mine happily stops charging when any cell reaches the programmed setting. Daly makes a lot of different BMS, some "smarter" than others.

it is the smart version so I can adjust all the values although what and how each set of parameters works is a mystery.
There seems to be two levels of warnings for cell voltages, I set the first at 3.5 and the second at 3.6. It looks like it does cut the charging mosfet off at the second threshold, not the first. When the charging mosfet shuts down you would think the passive balance would kick in, however...
I have the balance voltage set at 3.4 with a delta of 0.050v; sadly using a current meter other than a load of around 11ma from the +V balance wire (which I guess is the BMS's working current) there is no other current drain going on with the high cell and the cell delta from min to max is well over 200mv.
So protection "may" work based on the second warning level but it does not seem to balance at all and I can measure down to milliamps...
I will continue to watch it for a few hours and see if I can notice it actually trying to balance, or, does it just stop charging and let the cells naturally drop voltage from internal resistance (in orther words, it does not really have any balancing at all, just protection).

My smart Daly 4S 12V 100A has no two levels of warnings for cell voltages. It has Over Voltage and Charge End Voltage. Maybe you meant these two voltages?

In the Sinowealth program I have:
- Over Voltage
- Over Voltage release
- Over Voltage delay
- Over Voltage release delay
- Charge End Voltage
- Charge End delay

Over Voltage stops charging if any ONE of the cells goes over the set value.

Charge End Voltage stops charging if ALL cells are over the set value.

Balancing only occurs if there is a charge current and the voltage plus delta are over the set values.

Last edited:
1) What over voltage release mean ?
2) could you give the values you choose for the different tensions.

Thx a lot.

My smart Daly 4S 12V 100A has no two levels of warnings for cell voltages. It has Over Voltage and Charge End Voltage. Maybe you meant these two voltages?

In the Sinowealth program I have:
- Over Voltage
- Over Voltage release
- Over Voltage delay
- Over Voltage release delay
- Charge End Voltage
- Charge End delay

Over Voltage stops charging if any ONE of the cells goes over the set value.

Charge End Voltage stops charging if ALL cells are over the set value.

Balancing only occurs if there is a charge current and the voltage plus delta are over the set values.
In my display I have the following which at the bottom has level 1 and level 2 for cell volt high and cell volt low(all 4 of which must have values to "set")..
1619101582661.png

Last edited:
1. You have to use the newest PC Software. You can download here: : https://diysolarforum.com/resources/daly-bms-monitor-to-monitor-8-boards.167/

2. Check Your Firmwaredate. You have first to connect the new version PC Software an then push on the TAB Read Param the Read All button.

3. The Software Version (Firmware) must be at least Version: 20210222-01 All older versions are very buggy. I have no problems with this version.

Here are the settings of my well working Daly Smart BMS (16-Cells). It closes the connection when the values reach Level-2. Level-1 only generates a warning message in the Software on 1. TAB.

1619361471047.png

You can get the latest firmware for your device from DALY Support. I have the 16 cells version. I don't know if the firmware works for the 8 cell BMS version. The HD version is important. Attached the Firmware for the DL-BMS-R32-01E Daly Smart BMS (as a .zip File. Unzipped it first).

good luck

Attachments

• DalyBmsApp_20210222.zip
    70.6 KB · Views: 50
Where did you get the latest firmware version?
I am looking for mine i didnot find.
R05W-GA23

4S 250A

I dont know how to get in touch with them.

No email.

And wechat contact is bad not very skilled

My 250a 16s daly stops balancing as soon as charging or discharging stops. Is there a way to over ride this?

My 250a 16s daly stops balancing as soon as charging or discharging stops. Is there a way to over ride this?
Hopefully it only balances while charging. No, there is no way to override it (not sure why you would want to).

Hopefully it only balances while charging. No, there is no way to override it (not sure why you would want to).
Because I'm playing "whack a mole" trying to top balance a pack.... it was my hope to have it balance while resting for the next week until I'm ready to use the battery. It's a tempary thing.

Because I'm playing "whack a mole" trying to top balance a pack.... it was my hope to have it balance while resting for the next week until I'm ready to use the battery. It's a tempary thing.
If you're playing "whack a mole", you might consider top balancing.

Back