diy solar

diy solar

Daly Smart BMS disconnect

Mountainlion

Hi Guys,

My Daly Smart BMS disconnected today when I did run the coffeemaker. (Second time I used a higher load)

I tried to restart the BMS with the wake up button I installed. No success.

Started a charge cykel with the battery charger. BMS came to life and let current thru.

Only problem is the Bluetooth is gone?? That is a problem as I can not check the reason for the disconnect.

Any ideas?

Hi Guys,

My Daly Smart BMS disconnected today when I did run the coffeemaker. (Second time I used a higher load)

I tried to restart the BMS with the wake up button I installed. No success.

Started a charge cykel with the battery charger. BMS came to life and let current thru.

Only problem is the Bluetooth is gone?? That is a problem as I can not check the reason for the disconnect.

Any ideas?
Yes, contact Daly.
They like to change things and not document the changes. It is likely they may have moved the correct pins. Once you get bluetooth back, make sure to set the sleep timer to a higher value. This is why I recommend JBD.

Daly is a nightmare! I have 2- 4s 250 A And 1- 4s 200 A all three SOC are constantly wrong They all shut down between 3 and 6 hours for no reason. I am running a 1000 watt inverter with a 800 watt load max One refrigerator a few lights. . Batteries are set up on a switch only one used at a time. Can't set all parameters in Bluetooth need Serial or canbus. Wouldn't charge over14.2 for the pack

Spent hours trying to trouble shoot kept getting questions not answers from Daly. Told it was my wiring the switch the inverter etc etc
Wiring is all 2 g less than 2 feet in length charger is 14.6 v 90 amp

I bought One Overkill 250 from steve It works perfectly no shut downs And I can set everything in bluetooth absolutely simple . Ordering more to replace the other 2 Daly. It is nice to know I'm not crazy what I built works just fine With Overkill JBD

Daly is a nightmare! I have 2- 4s 250 A And 1- 4s 200 A all three SOC are constantly wrong They all shut down between 3 and 6 hours for no reason. I am running a 1000 watt inverter with a 800 watt load max One refrigerator a few lights. . Batteries are set up on a switch only one used at a time. Can't set all parameters in Bluetooth need Serial or canbus. Wouldn't charge over14.2 for the pack

Spent hours trying to trouble shoot kept getting questions not answers from Daly. Told it was my wiring the switch the inverter etc etc
Wiring is all 2 g less than 2 feet in length charger is 14.6 v 90 amp

I bought One Overkill 250 from steve It works perfectly no shut downs And I can set everything in bluetooth absolutely simple . Ordering more to replace the other 2 Daly. It is nice to know I'm not crazy what I built works just fine With Overkill JBD
Daly has problems, you should search here for the settings to disable the sleep timer (the reason it keeps shutting down on you). If you want help with the other problems, screen shots of your settings would help.

JBD makes a better BMS, although they don't make a 250 amp like you say. Likely you have the 120 amp that Overkill carries. Their 150 amp model is even better, but I haven't had a chance to test their newer 200 amp model. The 150 and 120 amp models are good matches for 12v systems made from the 280ah cells that are popular, since you really don't want to push the cells past 0.5C discharge rates (140 amps). Both are more trouble free than the Daly. Daly will work, they just have poor quality control and the default settings cause a lot of the problems, and thus combined with being more expensive are not the best choice.

Mine also shut down a few times with the BMS locking up. You cant start it via USB. Look for this thread here:

Daly 8S Smart BMS DL-BMS-R32-01E - unexplained shutdown a common problem​

It seems like my 16S 150A Daly is going to sleep/disconnecting from the inverter, despite having the sleep disabled via 65535 (and continuously charging/discharging)... It seems like it's fine once I wake it up again, but having it disconnect all the time is driving me nuts!

Is its goose cooked? I read elsewhere that a firmware update helped someone else, but so far Daly isn't being forthcoming with me about that...

The sleep timer is for Bluetooth only. To avoid BT draining the battery when not in use.

If the Daly disconnects, there should be a message in the Bluetooth app status page.

It seems like my 16S 150A Daly is going to sleep/disconnecting from the inverter, despite having the sleep disabled via 65535 (and continuously charging/discharging)... It seems like it's fine once I wake it up again, but having it disconnect all the time is driving me nuts!

Is its goose cooked? I read elsewhere that a firmware update helped someone else, but so far Daly isn't being forthcoming with me about that...
Search, there are two different values that work, try the other one.

The sleep timer is for Bluetooth only. To avoid BT draining the battery when not in use.

If the Daly disconnects, there should be a message in the Bluetooth app status page.
Yeah, it generates no faults, as far as I can tell - trying to read it in the app, or via connecting it to a PC...

Last edited:
My BMS got worse over time. It had a few more unexplained outages when the BMS just did not respond to anything anymore. Could not wake it up via USB either. Unplugging and reconnecting it got it back up and it worked again for a week or 10 days, After that same issue. V

Now it seems really dead. I came to the cabin, all dark. I reset the BMS by basically powercycling it and now USB does connect again. I can measure on each cell with around DVM 3.35 but the BMS measure between 0V and 5V and does not work anymore. So far Daly does respond but I feel like I am talking to a widget designed to make me give up.

My opinion based on my tiny sample size of one BMS and poor support experience - don't buy it

Attachments

• bad-bms.PNG
    bad-bms.PNG
    101 KB · Views: 12
Back