diy solar

diy solar

Daly Smart BMS not registering small loads

Mountainlion

My Daly Smart BMS 4S (200A) is not registering small loads? I have a parasitic draw around 1.1A/h in my travel trailer.

The Daly BMS show 0. My Victron shunt shows 1.1 A.

As the Daly BMS does not show small loads it also stop calculate SOC. So big difference in calculated SOC between Victron and Daly.

Another consequence is that the BMS goes in to sleep mode. (Can not be accessed over Bluettoth) until I wake it up by applying a bigger load or charge.

Is this normal?

Is there any parameters that needs to be changed in the BMS?

I don't know the specs on the Daly to know if this is "normal" ..... but this is a common complaint.

Even Victron recommends doing an occasional full charge to keep it in sync.

My Daly Smart BMS 4S (200A) is not registering small loads? I have a parasitic draw around 1.1A/h in my travel trailer.

The Daly BMS show 0. My Victron shunt shows 1.1 A.

As the Daly BMS does not show small loads it also stop calculate SOC. So big difference in calculated SOC between Victron and Daly.

Another consequence is that the BMS goes in to sleep mode. (Can not be accessed over Bluettoth) until I wake it up by applying a bigger load or charge.

Is this normal?

Is there any parameters that needs to be changed in the BMS?
Did you perform a zero current calibration?

My 8S Daly agrees completely with my shunt and under 1 amp

Did you perform a zero current calibration?

My 8S Daly agrees completely with my shunt and under 1 amp
Yes I did find the zero current calibration. I’m not sure If I did it correct?

This is what I did.

But I made sure there was no load and then pushed the button ?

My 300amp daly was doing the same thing, 3A or lower it would not read.. In the sinowealth software there is a parameter called Dfittercurr mine was set to 3000mA. I changed that setting to 100ma and now it reads down to 100ma.

My 300amp daly was doing the same thing, 3A or lower it would not read.. In the sinowealth software there is a parameter called Dfittercurr mine was set to 3000mA. I changed that setting to 100ma and now it reads down to 100ma.
Have you entered the new sleep timer delay number to turn off sleep mode?

Thanks Sharky,
Will look at that when I visit the trailer next time.
Can you access Difittercurr over Bluetooh, or do you need to
connect with PC?
My 200A Daly is not reading under 2A.

Thanks Sharky,
Will look at that when I visit the trailer next time.
Can you access Difittercurr over Bluetooh, or do you need to
connect with PC?
My 200A Daly is not reading under 2A.
Can't access via bt only sinowealth sw via pc.
I bet your dfittercurr is set to 2000mA then if its not reading under 2a

Hi
i have the 250A 4s daly bms with bluetooth and i have the same problem. i try to connect over pc but it's only works with the dalybmsmonitor/pcmaster.exe. the sinowealth sw read nothing from the bms (i know i have to press scan all) that means i cannot set this parameter . have someone a idea why the sinewealth sw not works ?

thanks

Hi
i have the 250A 4s daly bms with bluetooth and i have the same problem. i try to connect over pc but it's only works with the dalybmsmonitor/pcmaster.exe. the sinowealth sw read nothing from the bms (i know i have to press scan all) that means i cannot set this parameter . have someone a idea why the sinewealth sw not works ?

thanks
Every Daly model except the 12v model uses a different chip (sinowealth compatible). The 12v model uses a chip that Daly won't tell you what it is, and they remove all of the markings.

Every Daly model except the 12v model uses a different chip (sinowealth compatible). The 12v model uses a chip that Daly won't tell you what it is, and they remove all of the markings.
oh no i have a 12V Version ... means i cannot fix the wrong current ... thats not so good

Well I have not tried to connect with the sinowealth software yet. Did not think it was so important to get the readings right in the BMS. But I’m starting to think it also affects the balancing. In the end of the charge cycle when charger goes in to absorption the balancing stop when amperage is under 2A.

Can't access via bt only sinowealth sw via pc.
I bet your dfittercurr is set to 2000mA then if its not reading under 2a
Thanks Sharky?

Your information was 100% correct. Digged out an old Windows laptop from the closet and downloaded Sinowealth software. Dfittercurr was set to 2000mA on my 200A BMS. Changed it to 100mA and BMS started to read small loads. I bet this also means that the BMS also will start balancing when charge is smaller then 2A.

Would be interesting to understand why Daly set that value so high as it limits the function of their product?

Thanks Sharky?

Your information was 100% correct. Digged out an old Windows laptop from the closet and downloaded Sinowealth software. Dfittercurr was set to 2000mA on my 200A BMS. Changed it to 100mA and BMS started to read small loads. I bet this also means that the BMS also will start balancing when charge is smaller then 2A.

Would be interesting to understand why Daly set that value so high as it limits the function of their product?

I think this setting ”Defittercurr” controls the sleep mode of the BMS? Disconnected everything from the BMS. The Amps that the BMS register cycles between -0.1 to 0.3A. Not sure what it is measuring as there is nothing connected. BMS has not gone in to sleep mode since I changed the setting. Will change the setting to 400 mA And see what happens.

If the BMS does not go in sleep mode that can be a problem for long term storage.

I think this setting ”Defittercurr” controls the sleep mode of the BMS? Disconnected everything from the BMS. The Amps that the BMS register cycles between -0.1 to 0.3A. Not sure what it is measuring as there is nothing connected. BMS has not gone in to sleep mode since I changed the setting. Will change the setting to 400 mA And see what happens.

If the BMS does not go in sleep mode that can be a problem for long term storage.
I did notice similar on mine when I lowered the dfitter current it fluctuates. You may need to find the balance point when its steady.
May also play havoc with the % reading as well I reckon when its got phantom current.
Not sure about the sleep mode, I thought it was a period of inactivity that puts it into sleep mode. Makes sense then if its reading phantom currents.

My experience is similar. The 12V 60A Daly smart BMS reads the charging power of 18W but can not read a load of 5W or lower passive drains. Will soon try a 60W drain.

One of the problems with the early BMS:s was parasitic current draw. I know a number of people that came back to their boats after 12 month in storage and did find the battery bank empty (destroyed) because of parasitic current draw from the BMS.

i do not know what the current draw is from the Daly BMS is? In sleep mode I think it is more or less negligible. Left my BMS connected for 4 months in storage and could not register any major discharge.

I’m not so sure that is the case when the BMS is active measuring and holding up a bluetooth connection. Even a small current draw could potentially destroy your battery when in long term storage.

So be careful if you are playing with this setting!

It makes sense that Daly want the BMS to go in to sleep mode as early as possible to avoid parasitic draw. I guess that is why they set the cutoff current at 2000mA. (2A)

Will try to change the “Defittercurrent“ to 500mA and see if that could be a sweet spot that keeps the BMS in sleep mode for long term storage.

Changed the value to 500mA. Result was no fluctuations in current draw. Unfortunately BMS refused to go in sleep mode.

Increased the value to 1000mA. After that BMS went in sleep mode.

Last edited:
The minimum registered draw current also can be changed with Daly Bms Monitor, when Sinowealth does not work for your BMS.

Have to change this value:
S193d3543ba2046f88048b46bdcb80ffel.jpeg

Back