diy solar

diy solar

DALY Smart BMS question

Sylwood2

I am making a couple batteries for some friends..I would love to have BMS that shows bluetooth info to battery owner on their battery..I would also like to be able to custom set perimeters (low temp, high voltage cutoff and such) but customer doesnt need to. Can I get DALY smart BMS and use their (uart?) cable and their touchscreen to set perimeters then let customers view cells and charge status on bluetooth?​

I have an ANT bms on one battery, with bluetooth and just put an Overkill bms , with bluetooth, on another battery. I like the Overkill bms better, easier to set up and great support from Steve in Florida. Check out his website.

bms

The display is the same as Bluetooth, no change possible.
Only via UART / USB / computer connection is change possible.

That being said..
Daly quality lately is crap at the +100A models...
If you need 100A or more, buy 2 or 3 to have swap unit ready as it won't live long.

Hello
My 200A Daly Smart BMS has a working low temperature cutoff with user programmable parameters.
I have tested the function and it works.

Thomas

That's a new one. Did you buy from the official DALY store?

All Daly smart have temperature sensor and protection.
The "dumb" ones doesn't have.

@Thomas55 , how long do you have in use?
Average working time I know of now is 60-90 days before they break.

Always good to get new input to see if the product improved.

Hello

I bought it from a store called icgogogo, the battery is now 4 weeks in use. We will see........

Thomas

Icgogogo is usually good shop, even to get some discounts :)
Warranty NEVER has been an issue for me with them.
Even outside AliExpress period.
I know some readers have less good experience, reading about those was mostly difference in expectations and China product..

China product is almost always just a little (or a lot) different from what one expects.
Even for me, after +20 years experience with doing business with China.

Sadly, if repair is needed.. the costs for transport...
They go out of your pocket.
(Expect +$50 for 500-1000 grams)

After a few failure with Daly, the active balancer BMS is now probably the (my) best choice.

It have all the information needed, clean app, settings and does 1A (or more) active balance.
While that active doesn't have to be a plus per se, it sure beats the 35ma passive balance of the Daly.

In that perspective (balance) Daly is really limited.

Active balancing doesn't give much benefit, except at the high & low SOC range.

Where the Daly only really Balance at top charge, the active also does it when the battery is "empty".

Food for thought if (I sure hope for you not when) the Daly stops
(Or other readers who might be interested)

If you buy the Daly make sure you also buy the dodgy little "display panel" as well as the touch screen. The touch display is great for seeing state and also for doing most settings. But you can't "wake up" the BMS... The little display panel can. For a few dollars well worth it. Oh and on mine I can't run bluetooth and the touch display as they use the same port. So only one or the other. :-(

PS And low temp and high temp cut off work fine, I accidentally tested it.. by setting to +20c, took me awhile to work out why it kept shutting down.

:)
I didn't order the display panel, but got it for free.

Kinda stupid to make it a separate unit when mandatory to be able to use!

I probably have old firmware as settings via the touch display aren't possible, just like it ain't possible via BT.
But computer can do.
(UART to USB)

Not in use as I no longer thrust Daly to do what it must, keep working.

It was supposed to work together with the 250A "dumb" unit that sadly died.
150A is too weak for my purposes.
Often spikes higher then.
Can't have it tripping all the time.

Perhaps in the future it is going to be used for additional monitoring and reference information.

As BMS...
Nope.

If you buy the Daly make sure you also buy the dodgy little "display panel" as well as the touch screen. The touch display is great for seeing state and also for doing most settings. But you can't "wake up" the BMS... The little display panel can. .......
Hello
Which connector is for the display panel? what are the pins that are connected by the on- button?

Hello
Which connector is for the display panel? what are the pins that are connected by the on- button?
No idea sorry :-( Maybe able to confirm when it arrives. But I believe it plugs into the "light" socket if that helps. There is another thread here with someone reporting they got the wake up shorting some pins.

OzzyMatt,

I just ordered the same BMS from the same place. Can you confirm that you can use the Bluetooth and LCD display (not at the same time though). Icgogo says I have to choose one or the other. I just ordered all three items, Bluetooth, SOC display, and LCD display because they were cheap. Would be nice to be able to change settings with iphone app then swap to LCD screen.

Hello papagyo

They tell you, that either bluetooth or the touchscreen works on the UART port, because the BMS for both versions is different!
The bluetooth version has 3,3 V on pin 4, the touchscreen version full battery voltage ( up to 15 V ) on pin 4 of the UART port. When you insert the bluetooth modem in the port for the touchscreen it is destroyed immediately, the touchsceen at the bluetooth port will not work.
The only way to use both, is to order the touchscreen version of the BMS and build your own adapter cable with a 3,3V regulator in the + line. A 78 L 33 or similar will do the job.

But programming the BMS via this port does not work! This is only possible with the PC and the USB cable, that you hopefully ordered with your BMS.
Programming a BMS via bluetooth is not secure, every troll from another campsite can change the values and destroy your whole battery.

Last edited:
Thomas55,

confusing to say the least, I do see some on here say they can change parameters via Bluetooth but others say no. Not a big deal for me, I will just get the LCD version and cable to alter values using PC.

Brian

Thomas55,

confusing to say the least, I do see some on here say they can change parameters via Bluetooth but others say no. Not a big deal for me, I will just get the LCD version and cable to alter values using PC.

Brian
The one I bought I can change the settings via Bluetooth. And also via the touch screen.

Attachments

• 20201226_145814.jpg
    20201226_145814.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 129
Also you can wake up the Daly BMS with shorting the 2 PINs of the "Key" Port. My BMS ist a 100% Daly Smart BMS 4S 250A from DeligreenCS.
The Key Port is not labeld, but it is working perfect :)

Here pictures from my BMS and the port i mean:
0A3F1A52-842B-43C3-84D0-496D3D867156_LI.jpgDD5ACF47-A95A-4496-AEA3-191200B6E141.jpeg432BD3C8-E7C6-4B7F-BE6B-ECBB0123E7F0.jpeg

Back